AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered what you guys preffered,,ive always bought 30's only thing i could see as an advantage is alittle weight reduction,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
taller rest?

bah who am I kidding...

keep all your 30 rounders for the zombie invasion and take your 20s to the range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive heard some people have had trouble with the 30's jamming due to the bend in them, but I have had no trouble with mine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only mags I've EVER had problems with were the ones that that still had the black followers in them that the armory issued to me to go qual on the range with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have had some bad 30 round mags, but very very few. never had a bad 20 round mag though.

20 rounders also fit very conveniently in ammo cans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shooting prone
I actually prefer 30 round mags for this because they make a better mono pod than the 20's do. And no it will not cause a malfunction in an AR to rest the mag on the ground. That is a myth. I have no use for my 20 round mags anymore. They do make the gun more compact if you are keeping it in a vehicle or in a case but thats about the only advantage they have.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find that the shorter straight 20rd magazine load easier on the run. At 3-gun matches I usually start the stage with a 30rd magazine and reload to a straight 20rd. Occasionally because of the curve of the 30rd magazine I do not get a good straight push up to seat the magazine correctly when loading on a close bolt and moving. With a 20rd its easy even when moving to slap that magazine in and get it locked in good.

mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find that the shorter straight 20rd magazine load easier on the run. At 3-gun matches I usually start the stage with a 30rd magazine and reload to a straight 20rd. Occasionally because of the curve of the 30rd magazine I do not get a good straight push up to seat the magazine correctly when loading on a close bolt and moving. With a 20rd its easy even when moving to slap that magazine in and get it locked in good.

mcb
I use the push pull technique of seating the magazine not the slap technique.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive heard some people have had trouble with the 30's jamming due to the bend in them, but I have had no trouble with mine
I've heard that, but the truth is actually just the opposite. In fact, the .223/5.56 needs a bit of curve to feed properly. The problem is that the mag well on the AR family is too deep and requires that the curve go to straight at the last bit, and that has sometimes been blamed for feeding problems. If that was the case, and I believe it was, the problem has been worked around years ago.

There was a time when the 20 rounders gave better service, but the 30 rounders of today are wonderfully reliable. I keep some 20's around just for fun - they look "right" in KISS rifles, but for social occasions, it's 30's all the way... either HK's or at least mags w/Magpul followers. I haven't tried the new Pmags, but they are building a very good reputation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts