AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure how accurate that ammo is, but the 55gr is a good all around grain to go with. I use alot of Wolf ammo that I usually get out of Texas for around $250/1000 shipped. It is fairly accurate for cheap ammo. They are not reloadable, if you are thinking about that then go with the brass ammo. Just for instance I went to the range the other day with my AR and the Wolf and it will hold a 5 shot 1 inch group. Coarse that is with a 24" SS barrel, but still not bad for cheap ammo... JMO

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
:twisted:
Is this a good price?

I plan on purchasing a big box of 1000 to save on costs.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...m_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true

$364.99/1000=$0.365 per round. Is this a good deal?

Any comments on the Remington 55gr FMJ?

I will use this at the range, and want high accuracy from a 16" 1:7 SS barrel.

In addition, what should I keep loaded in the AR15 for SHTF? 55gr or heavier? JHP or FMJ?
Not bad ammo, I have shot a lot of it. groups well out to 200.
Price on .223 is getting bad all over.
Don't forget to add shipping cost into your cost per round.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the 500 rd version a few weeks ago and it shoots great in my Bushy. It comes with 2 plastic ammo boxes also which were cool.
My gun does not like wolf at all.
:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you have a cabela's near by you can go to it's going to cost you about $20 extra to have it shipped to you (hazard shipping) Next best thing is the gunshows, they have cheaper bulk ammo alot of times. Not long ago .223 was 3.95 for 20rds on walmart shelves. I bought everything on the shelf when I was there cause I didn't expect it to say that cheap, boy am I glad I did it then. Now I need to look at getting a reloader.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how accurate that ammo is, but the 55gr is a good all around grain to go with. I use alot of Wolf ammo that I usually get out of Texas for around $250/1000 shipped. It is fairly accurate for cheap ammo. They are not reloadable, if you are thinking about that then go with the brass ammo. Just for instance I went to the range the other day with my AR and the Wolf and it will hold a 5 shot 1 inch group. Coarse that is with a 24" SS barrel, but still not bad for cheap ammo... JMO
They are very much reloadable. There a few folks over on ARFCOM that have loaded their Wolf multiple times.

The .223, .45ACP, and .40 S&W are boxer primed and reloadable.

I am probably the only guy that picks up Wolf at the range so I have it all to myself :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you have a cabela's near by you can go to it's going to cost you about $20 extra to have it shipped to you (hazard shipping) Next best thing is the gunshows, they have cheaper bulk ammo alot of times. Not long ago .223 was 3.95 for 20rds on walmart shelves. I bought everything on the shelf when I was there cause I didn't expect it to say that cheap, boy am I glad I did it then. Now I need to look at getting a reloader.
Does Cabela's charge a hazardous shipping fee for ammo? I've never bought from them but I do know UPS doesn't mind shipping ammo and they don't charge a fee - you just have to go by truck so you can't get it overnighted or anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Does Cabela's charge a hazardous shipping fee for ammo? I've never bought from them but I do know UPS doesn't mind shipping ammo and they don't charge a fee - you just have to go by truck so you can't get it overnighted or anything.
Thankfully there is a Cabela's right by my house so I haven't had to ship, but I am sure when they were out of stock at the store that I attempted to buy ammo but decided against it due to the hazard fee.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Ammo is not considered haz mat.
Depends on a couple of things. Some delivery companies charge an extra hazmat fee for anything that can require vehicle placarding if they have enough for the DOT to make them placard the vehicle. Some delivery folks won't handle any hazmat at all. All the UPS stores where I am won't ship or receive ammo, store policy.

Small arms ammunition is HazMat Class 1.4. If I remember right, there would need to be more than 1000 pounds on a vehicle to require placards.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
FedEx charges a hazmat fee, USPS doesn't allow ammo to be shipped, UPS only requires you write "ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms" on the outside of the package.

The only catch is you have to drop it off at a UPS Customer Service Center. None of the other UPS entities are allowed to accept it but UPS doesn't charge extra to ship ammo.

I've shipped ammo a few times this way. I avoid FEDEX cause of the extra fees.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
the-armory.com has Wolf 55gr SP for $120 / 500 rounds. You could get 1500 rounds for what you are paying at Cabela's, if you don't mind running the soft point.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
UPS only requires you write "ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms" on the outside of the package.

The only catch is you have to drop it off at a UPS Customer Service Center. None of the other UPS entities are allowed to accept it but UPS doesn't charge extra to ship ammo.
AND, some of the UPS service centers will not/cannot accept ammo for shipment. The one in my town will deliver it to me but cannot accept it for shipment from me......go figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
AND, some of the UPS service centers will not/cannot accept ammo for shipment. The one in my town will deliver it to me but cannot accept it for shipment from me......go figure.

Is it a customer service center? If it is and they still don't accept the ammo give UPS a call and see if they can straighten it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
They are very much reloadable. There a few folks over on ARFCOM that have loaded their Wolf multiple times.

The .223, .45ACP, and .40 S&W are boxer primed and reloadable.

I am probably the only guy that picks up Wolf at the range so I have it all to myself :D

The cheap Wolf I was talking about is not reloadable unless something has changed lately. The GOLD Wolf is reloadable, but it closer to the $325 mark and it is Brass cased and not carbon alloy cased. When I get it from that place in Texas it is always shipped UPS in the Wolf case and NEVER have been charged HAZ fee or had to pick it up from a UPS service center. Maybe it is different in some states, but in NC it comes to my door.... Just my 2 cents...

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Is it a customer service center?
Yep, official for real one. Got the can/cannot ship poster on the wall and ammo is listed as a cannot accept for shipment. Not a real big deal to me as I don't ship any, but looking into the future I can see it as an excuse for not being able to deliver any to me also.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
The cheap Wolf I was talking about is not reloadable unless something has changed lately. The GOLD Wolf is reloadable, but it closer to the $325 mark and it is Brass cased and not carbon alloy cased. When I get it from that place in Texas it is always shipped UPS in the Wolf case and NEVER have been charged HAZ fee or had to pick it up from a UPS service center. Maybe it is different in some states, but in NC it comes to my door.... Just my 2 cents...

Nope the steel cased wolf is reloadable. Look down the case neck with a flashlight and it will have one flashhole not two. Now this is on the polymer coated stuff I'm not 100 percent on the lacquer coated stuff.

If you don't want it though keep it and send it to me for recycling :mrgreen:

Cozy I would either force them to contact their corporate hazmat center or contact their corporate headquaters yourself. My customer service center here didn't know they could ship ammo either. I had them call the main hazmat center and then she accepted the package.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Nope the steel cased wolf is reloadable. Look down the case neck with a flashlight and it will have one flashhole not two. Now this is on the polymer coated stuff I'm not 100 percent on the lacquer coated stuff.

If you don't want it though keep it and send it to me for recycling :mrgreen:
I will check and see what I have, but I am pretty sure the guy told me it wasn't reloadable. I might have the lacquer coated stuff though. I don't usually pick it up after I shoot it. I'm a member of the local F.O.P. and I go down there from time to time after they have matches or training and pick up all there brass. Good deal for me?!?! lol

Here is the site I got mine at. Not much of a site, but you can call them and check on the price's. It goes up and down so not sure of the price now, but worth a call...
http://www.gulfcoastammunition.com/

That site worked yesturday, but now it's messed up.. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Depends on a couple of things. Some delivery companies charge an extra hazmat fee for anything that can require vehicle placarding if they have enough for the DOT to make them placard the vehicle. Some delivery folks won't handle any hazmat at all. All the UPS stores where I am won't ship or receive ammo, store policy.

Small arms ammunition is HazMat Class 1.4. If I remember right, there would need to be more than 1000 pounds on a vehicle to require placards.

UPS Retail Stores are next to worthless, they will ship absolutely nothing firearm related, not a bullet, a magazine nothing. I got turned away for trying to ship a scope, just the scope in a box. But they were all to happy to box it up for me so i could go across the street and send it at the post office, for a fraction of the cost. Yet, you can ship handguns, ammo and rifles from a UPS hub.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
jeepinbanditrider: Do you full case resize the Wolf hulls when you reload it? I just checked some of the recent Wolf hulls I fired and they are boxer primed. Just popped a primer out to verify. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to lay in a stash of slugs, powder and primers for the day I need to reload these Wolf hulls.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts