AR15 Forums banner

223 or 5.56 - what should I do

2K views 13 replies 0 participants last post by  ScottyPotty 
G
#1 ·
I am ready to build my first AR - It wil be a 20" varmit rifle. I'm a noob to this and am not quite sure about the .223 vs 5.56 choice. I know that a.223 will be more accurate from the .223 chamber - but how much better is it? Does anybody with a 5.56 shoot 5.56 ammo?

G
#2 ·
i have a 5.56 and mostly i shoot 223 but i do shoot 5.56 every once and a while. im sorry i cant help much but i havent shot long distance to be able to tell the difference. but i never shoot surplus and if i do another ar i will get it in 223 or the 223 wylde (sp?)

G
#3 ·
The 5.56 chamber just gives you more options with ammo. You can shoot the 5.56 loaded rounds and also the off the shelf stuff. I have the 5.56 chambers on both my AR's.

The wylde chamber is your other option, but personally, unless its a precision shooter, get the 5.56 and dont bother with the wylde.

G
#9 ·
There is only one thing I dont like about the Wylde chamber... I dont really trust that it will effectively handle HOT HOT .223 rounds or HOT 5.56 for that matter. If handloading comes into play and you want just that much more that is. The Wylde is supposed to be a slightly more accurate chamber design though from what I understand. Good luck with it!

G
#13 ·
i have a rock river LAR-A2 full length, and it can produce dime groups at 100yds with 5.56NATO surplus.

i've noticed with some remongton factory/hunting loads that they shoot about 4-6 inches higher than my 5.56NATO

Like everyone else says, i'd go with the 5.56NATO chamber, that way you can shoot wither 5.56NATO or .223 loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.