AR15 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Olympic Arms .243 WSSM Upper? I figure that when my budget allows and I get a Evil Black Rifle, I can swap out to this upper and have a solid deer gun and then switch back to a range gun with the .223 Upper. They also have them in .223 WSSM and .25 WSSM upper. Also if anyone has any experience with the .243 WSSM round in general share some stories.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't think they got around the cracking receiver issue.

.243WSSM is very powerful and has been known to crack the upper. They may have gotten past it but they have also had Magazine issues and accuracy problems. When that short, fat round hits the feed ramp it can damage the tip of the bullet throwing accuracy off.

The info I have is about 2 years old so they may have worked out those issues, but I still wouldn't get one. I e-mailed Glen Zediker of
http://www.zediker.com/
and he told me about the cracking issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never fails that I find good info and heads up on this forum. Thanx for the reply. I just wanna find a good AR style deer rifle without going to the 308. Don't get me wrong cause I have nothing against the cartridge, but after shooting about 18 rounds out of my Remington 700 .270, my shoulder is sore and actually bruised. Wanted something a little smaller due to recoil, hence the .243.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have shot several very light rifles in some hard recoiling calibers and I have to say 270 ain't that bad. If you go down in caliber you may run into problems with knock down power and clean kill on game. There is a lot of info on other sites aimed at hunting. The WSSMs have been getting rave reviews and I have no prob with them just not in an AR platform.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the regular .243 win in the AR? You don't give up much from the 243 WSSM in terms of performance. I really like the .243 you can load 55gr bullets over 4100 fps or go 115gr @ 3000fps for deer.

This guy makes an interesting point on going to .243 for the service rifles
http://www.chuckhawks.com/243_service_rifle.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be interested in something like that. Know where I can get one, without getting it custom made?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TexAg08 said:
I just wanna find a good AR style deer rifle without going to the 308. Don't get me wrong cause I have nothing against the cartridge, but after shooting about 18 rounds out of my Remington 700 .270, my shoulder is sore and actually bruised. Wanted something a little smaller due to recoil, hence the .243.
Geez, you're in Texas! There aren't 5 deer here that a 223 with a cheap softpoint won't drop like a rock. My 13 year old daughter shot 4 this year with a 223, and none of them went over 25 yards. So just get a 223 AR. Now about that 270. I bought my 16 year old son a 270, and he quit after 5 shots. I could use the threat of shooting it to make him do anything! Then I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it. Next time we were at the range, I looked up, and he had gone thru 2 full boxes of ammo. My 12 year old shoots it now. The best recoil pad on the market, bar none. You can get a slip on at Walmart to test. And I will always be convinced that the WSSM is what drove Winchester out of business. Well, that , and a marginal rifle.

Go Tech!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree!

I used to hunt whitetails with a 30-06. It was way too much gun.

Went to carrying my Savage 99 in 243 or a 6.5mm Swede Mauser - kills the average Texas whitetail like lightning.

The 223? well, the bullet weight seems a bit light. The lightweight 22 caliber bullets worry me. i have a 22-250 and i wouldn't use it for deer.

However, there are tons of good mid-range deer rounds that are very easy on the shoulder. The 243 Winny, 25-06, 7x57, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 and 7mm-08 come to mind.

Do they make AR uppers in 243 Winny or 7mm-08 Rem? Those would be great short action rounds that will get the job done and are not overly expensive or hard to find.

- Brickboy240

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.C. 4 U said:
What about an upper in 6.8 spc? From what I've heard it has enough ass for hunting whitetail deer. If we were allowed to hunt with semi-auto's here in PA that's what I'd be trying.
http://www.gunhuntermag.com/features/050315Rem.htm
Typical gun mag hype. A 270 mated to an obsolete cartridge? The fact that it will kill hogs says worlds more about it than the fact that it will kill a 75# sheep, or a whitetail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing about 6.8 vs the 7mm-08 or 243 Win is that ammo might be easier to find in some areas than the 6.8.

I would think an AR in 7mm-08 would be a gentile kicker and get the job done.

- Brickboy240

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An AR in 243 Winny would be VERY sweet. That is such a tack-hammer caliber and a pleasure to shoot...I love the 243 Winchester.

- brickboy240

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is worth mentioning that you would have to go up to an AR-10 platform to obtain an AR in .243 or 7mm-08, which isn't exactly ideal from a price perspective (of course, then neither is the .243 WSSM upper). An AR upper in .260 Remington is available from DPMS, I believe, and that would be an excellent deer rifle for most places in Texas. Of course, it weighs ten pounds unloaded, as will most any AR-10, but to each his own.

As to the gentleman who reffered to the winchester as a "marginal rifle" I will have to post some pictuures of some of the targets I have punched with both my Model 70's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts