AR15 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have one of these? They look very interesting and it might just be one of my next builds. The only difference is the upper, you can even use regular AR 15 mags. That would add a little extra smack down power!

http://www.458socom.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I shot one quite a bit a few summers ago and another in 50 AE recently. I think they need a more dedicateed system for using them. AR's were concieved and built for 556 not Africa Big 5. Mags look the same but with a different follower designed to feed rounds from single stack so you get less than half capacity, which is an issue to some being that round was developed as an option for CQB range. The alloy recievers are too brittle for the pressure and recoil. However, they seem to work okay and although they are loud, it's pretty fun, too. It is a real bullet and you need to be careful when loading them up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they say that the 30 round AR mag can handle 10 rounds of .458 SOCOM. It would be a fun rifle! Has there been any failures related to the receivers and the larger rounds?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of the 450 Bushmaster over the 458 SOCOM. The SOCOM uses .458 diameter bullets. These are rifle bullets and in general harder to find and more expensive. The 450 Bushmaster uses .452 diameter bullets. This is the same diameter as 45ACP bullets and thus for plinking and screwing around you can load them with cheaper and far more available pistol bullets and save the more expensive ballistic tip and similar for long range stuff. I would lover to build up a 450 Bushmaster for 3-gun. Most of the matches I shoot have little really long range stuff and with the 450 Bushmaster you could easily make Major. Magazine capacity is an issue but I'm sure a work around or two is coming.

Rambling
mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 450 Bushmaster uses .452 diameter bullets. This is the same diameter as 45ACP bullets
Hate to nitpick, but its actually the diameter of .45 Colt bullets, although I can't see any reason why .45 ACP bullets wouldn't work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to nitpick, but its actually the diameter of .45 Colt bullets, although I can't see any reason why .45 ACP bullets wouldn't work.
Actually the 45 Colt originally used .454 diameter lead bullets, more modern 45 Colt revolvers (post WWII) frequently have barrels for .452 lead bullets or .451 jacketed bullets. This was likely to fall in line with the growing popularity of the 45 ACP so they could use the same tooling and the like. The 45 ACP has always used .452 diameter lead bullets and .451 jacketed bullets. The 450 Bushmaster used a .452 diameter jacketed bullet.

mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the 45 Colt originally used .454 diameter lead bullets, more modern 45 Colt revolvers (post WWII) frequently have barrels for .452 lead bullets or .451 jacketed bullets. This was likely to fall in line with the growing popularity of the 45 ACP so they could use the same tooling and the like. The 45 ACP has always used .452 diameter lead bullets and .451 jacketed bullets. The 450 Bushmaster used a .452 diameter jacketed bullet.

mcb
Sorry about that... I'm well aware of the history, was just mixing cast .45 colt with jacketed .45 ACP... my bad

Although, IMO, the .450 Bushmaster would become a pretty pointless cartridge if you loaded it strictly with bullets for a .45 ACP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the reason the .458 is getting popular over the .450 bushmaster is because in places like Indiana we can hunt deer with the .458 but not the .450 because of the overall case length. Maximum case length can only be 1.625 inches for carbines. The law was intially for carbines but because the law has a maximum case length with a bullet no smaller than .357 it allwos some cartridges like the .458.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Indiana as well, I bet you couldn't tell from my screenname. Anyway, is the .458 originally a pistol caliber? I thought no matter what that the rifle had to be a pistol caliber and then the case length and other things come into play.

I just found this on IDNR site, I guess I was wrong although it is definitely confusing!

What are the legal firearms for Firearms Season?
Answer: The legal firearms for the Firearms Season are shotguns, handguns, center-fire rifles of specific cartridge dimensions, muzzleloading handguns and muzzleloading long guns.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/FAQ.html

Under Other Information

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Indiana as well, I bet you couldn't tell from my screenname. Anyway, is the .458 originally a pistol caliber?
Nope, .458 is the rifle caliber of .45-70 fame (and all the other "45 caliber" black powder cartridges). If you handload, you have about as many bullets to choose from as anything out there, from 'light' 250 grainers all the way up to bullets over 1,000 grains.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have handloaded 45-70 for our single shot buffalo guns before so I know about the bullets available for that cartridge! We used 500 Grain Lead Spitzers, made from wheel weights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was supposed to be for pistol calibers only but someon probably made a custom .458 handgun even if it wasnt shot it means it can be used in a pistol and makes it legal. It is on the DNR's accepted list, It must meet case length also which it does. The .50 beowolf is 1.650 inch case and the max case length is 1.625 so it doesnt meet it by a little bit. I wish it did because the upper for the .50 Beowolf is a lot cheaper than the .458 socom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts