AR15 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Another question from me about ammo for the AR. Hope you guys dont get sick of this too quickly.

I am trying to decide on a caliber for my upper assembly. I know eventually I can add as many other uppers as I need to the lower, but, for my main purchase I am thinking about going with the 6.8 SPC.

I know the military isnt gonna give up on 5.56 too awful soon, but its a possiblility and is also a good chance more law enforcement agencies may go with this round which would make it more popular with ammo manufacturers.

The round looks like a real scorcher as for performance and ballistics. However, I have noticed it isnt as easily found as 5.56/.223.

Give me your opinions on this route. Would I be making a mistake to jump on the 6.8 SPC wagon this early?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I don't think it would be a mistake per se, but I do think you'd be limited in your choice of ammo suppliers and it would probably cost you more money to shoot, unless of course you started reloading. But I haven't researched this ammo much either, the info I provided is just from my looking around.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Would I be making a mistake to jump on the 6.8 SPC wagon this early?
I bought a 6.8 upper at least 3 maybe 4 years ago. I sold it 2 years ago because I got tired of reloading and waiting on commercially available ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
.223 all the way. people have died by getting hit by 22LR, so what makes people think .223 is not good enough? it is all about fire power and .223 is will give you that fire power because you can carry more... on top of that .223 is readily available anytime, even with the expensive ammo price these days, you can get good brass .223 for 33 cents a round, wolf will be about 26 cents a round.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Went shooting over the weekend with the M4 and was reminded on just how big of a BLAM that 5.56 round makes... Stick with tradition ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
If you plan to reload, definitely go with the 6.8. If not, going with a 5.56 for now and upgrading later is a close second. That's what I did as I'm not able to dedicate time to reload during this year :sad:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
i say 6.5 grendel. it performs better at longer ranges
im trying to find the ballistic test graphs for 16" and 20" barrels
in those tests it performed better then 308 win

also wolf makes brass cased reloadable ammo in 6.5 grendel

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If you plan to reload, definitely go with the 6.8. If not, going with a 5.56 for now and upgrading later is a close second.
Better advice has rarely been given on these forums.

i say 6.5 grendel. it performs better at longer ranges
im trying to find the ballistic test graphs for 16" and 20" barrels
in those tests it performed better then 308 win
Also true.

If you shoot lefty and reload your own rounds (like me), go with 6.8SPC (like me). If you shoot righty and reload your own rounds, go 6.5 Grendel. If you don't reload your own rounds, stick with 5.56.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
If you shoot lefty and reload your own rounds (like me), go with 6.8SPC (like me). If you shoot righty and reload your own rounds, go 6.5 Grendel. If you don't reload your own rounds, stick with 5.56.
I'm a little confused on this. I mean no sarcasm whatsoever ..... what does the 0.3 mm difference make in terms of your advice above?

I'm not sure if reloading 5.56 or buying it is cheaper at this point in time or not. I have had so much reloading components over the past several years that I haven't bought .223/5.56 ammo. I don't even price it out anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a little confused on this. I mean no sarcasm whatsoever ..... what does the 0.3 mm difference make in terms of your advice above?

I'm not sure if reloading 5.56 or buying it is cheaper at this point in time or not. I have had so much reloading components over the past several years that I haven't bought .223/5.56 ammo. I don't even price it out anymore.
6.5 Grendel has better ballistics (than 6.8spc), better range, less drift, better accuracy, and at the moment is actually CHEAPER than 6.8spc. 6.5 Grendel shoots very similar to a .308. However, its not enough of an advantage over 6.8SPC to justify shooting opposite handed imo. (i hate gas in my face and reaching around for mag release and whatnot).

As far as the 5.56 version.........just get a .22LR conversion and shoot those. You can get rounds at about 1/4th the cost of 5.56

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
6.5 Grendel has better ballistics (than 6.8spc), better range, less drift, better accuracy, and at the moment is actually CHEAPER than 6.8spc. 6.5 Grendel shoots very similar to a .308. However, its not enough of an advantage over 6.8SPC to justify shooting opposite handed imo. (i hate gas in my face and reaching around for mag release and whatnot).

As far as the 5.56 version.........just get a .22LR conversion and shoot those. You can get rounds at about 1/4th the cost of 5.56
i am confused. im not sure what you mean

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
No south-paw uppers for the 6.5 Grendel.
For those who are right handed, try shooting an AR left-handed and you'll see what we go through when using the DI gas system. Hot gas and powder in the face gets a little irritating.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
No south-paw uppers for the 6.5 Grendel.
For those who are right handed, try shooting an AR left-handed and you'll see what we go through when using the DI gas system. Hot gas and powder in the face gets a little irritating.
Does a PRI gas buster help you with this?

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
I've never used a gas-buster but it mostly comes from the ejection port, so I'd say not so much.
The brass flying right in front of your face is a pain too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
6.8 SPC if you plan to hunt with your AR. Some states will not allow you to hunt with a 22 caliber. If it is just for plinking, target and SD, get a 5.56 it is a lot cheaper to shoot unless you reload for the 6.8 SPC.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
depends on what you want to use your AR/M4 for.

Before I had left for Iraq, I had read about all the people saying the 5.56 wasnt a powerful enough round, that hodge was take 3 or 4 hits and keep coming.

Not true at all. My M4, with M68 CCO and 3X magnifier, plus forward carry handle did the job just fine. I never once had any stopping power problems. Give the guy the normal 2-3rd punch and them bastards didnt get up.

Im with 3-7 Cav, outta Fort Stewart, Georgia. 65% of the time our mags were loaded up with the standard M855 Ball ammo. But everyone and awhile, if I was sneaky enough, Id grab about 20-30 boxes of the MK 262 Mod 1 ammo. Now that stuff was amazing, 2 hits and they were deffinately not getting back up.

All in all, Id say go with the 5.56, it works just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts