AR15 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking about putting together a thread to document the build of my AR in 6.5 Grendel, so I started sorting through the pictures today. I'll add to this thread as I have time. While I did build a 6.5 Grendel, this stuff will apply to any AR home-build.

First things first...

I bought a complete 5.56 BCG, so I needed to swap out the bolt for the one that came with my barrel.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of every step along the way, but there is the Grendel bolt (on the left) compared to the stock 5.56 bolt (on the right). While I had everything apart, I also put in the BCM extractor upgrade kit.

I took the carrier key off and flattened the mating surfaces. During reassembly I red loctited the key and screws and then torqued the **** out of them. Then I broke out the P-MOACKS!

MOACKS stands for "Mother of All Carrier Key Staking" tools, and this is the smaller, "pocket" version. The MOACKS (or P-MOACKS) really is the be-all, end-all for carrier key staking. It moves more metal than any other method I've seen that didn't involve a really big hammer.

As you can see, the screws are not only staked from the sides, but the staking tool also allows for pushing metal of the screw head out. Between the staking and the red loctite, that key is never going anywhere.

That's it for the first installment. In my next post I'll go over installing the barrel on the upper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking for one of those staking tools, where did you buy it?
I emailed Ned directly ( metalmaster @ m-guns.com ). His website is horribly broken right now. The P-MOACKS was $70, the full-blown MOACKS is significantly more, but you get significantly more.

For anyone in the central Ohio area, I spent $70 on this thing, so I'd like it to get some use. If you need to stake your carrier key, let me know and I'll see what I can do. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts