AR15 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this fits in the ammo thread due to I'm asking a usability question. I've heard from friends that they are using 80 grain ammo to great success in Iraq (also that its soo stuffed with powder there is no movement in the brass at all) on the other hand not a marine I know has shot the stuff. Does it improve the effectiveness of an AR to a large extent, does it wear the gun down obsurdly fast, and how does it change things for long range? thanks in advance for any advice thats actually from experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They are not using 80 grain ammo. They are using 77grain and 75 grain loads but only in the SPR.

The commercially available 80 grain bullets are much too long to fit magazines in the AR platform.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty much any Marine getting issued 5.56 ammo is going to be issued M855 which packs a 62 grain projectile. I'm sure we are issued other stuff for "special" needs or what not but the majority of it will be M855.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always wanted to know why they switched the rifling rates, that explained a lot to me, very informative thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts