AR15 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, this won't trigger anyone to fuss, given the recent comments by certain government officials; but I an very tempted to try working on an 80% lower (and possibly the upper as well), as part of a full scratchbuild AR. I have an inexpensive anderson that I bought about 2 years ago and it is absolutely fine to shoot, but I am interested in expanding my knowledge of the platform, and doing some looking atselecting my own choices for better internals and things.

What companies has anyone used that they feel are the best sources for the lower and jig/tooling kits? I have SOME drillbits and stuff, but would probably be best off picking up everything fresh and new, just to be sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully, this won't trigger anyone to fuss, given the recent comments by certain government officials; but I an very tempted to try working on an 80% lower (and possibly the upper as well), as part of a full scratchbuild AR. I have an inexpensive anderson that I bought about 2 years ago and it is absolutely fine to shoot, but I am interested in expanding my knowledge of the platform, and doing some looking atselecting my own choices for better internals and things.

What companies has anyone used that they feel are the best sources for the lower and jig/tooling kits? I have SOME drillbits and stuff, but would probably be best off picking up everything fresh and new, just to be sure.

I guess no one probably wants to revel that they built an 80 % lower. 80%arms is probably the best. Prices are high and they are selling out of the cheaper jigs due to the coming regulations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked through several sites, the interesting part seems to be the lack of stock of the JIG kits overall. There seems to be a decent supply of the lowers, depending on how picky you are for color and trigger guard shape (vs the open type where you'd pin one in). Lots of poly lowers seem available, but I dunno about those much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My advice from previous experience is to stay away from the drill press for anything but drilling holes. They just don't stand up as well to lateral pressure compared to a router or CNC machine. Poly lowers work good for average usage, easier to machine, but usually double the price of the aluminum lowers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts