AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been on the fence about getting a 9mm AR upper for some time.

I have a Ciener kit and it is fun but I think 9mm would be even more fun and I already reload it.

So it looks like I really only have the choice between Colt/RRA or the OLY setup.

It seems like the RRA, mag block, and uzi mags are the way to go.

Now the question is do I get a shorty and SBR it or get a 16" with a gas block so I can set it up with flip up irons.

I really don't want a front site tower on the 9mm since it is more for fun and will most likely be used with a red dot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i wouldnt get the SBR for somereason paying the 200 tax stamp to have a rifle in a pistol caliber with a short barrel. it kinda sounds like a very expensive pistol. but i may not be the best for this question since i dont really like the 9mm ar15s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wouldnt get the SBR for somereason paying the 200 tax stamp to have a rifle in a pistol caliber with a short barrel. it kinda sounds like a very expensive pistol. but i may not be the best for this question since i dont really like the 9mm ar15s
Anything in particular you don't like?

Like I said I am still on the fence and nobody has one around here.

I guess I could always get a Vector MP5 or UMP clone to have fun with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you. I'm still torn as well. With .223 so expensive, the 9mm upper is looking good. I can practice with the AR platform more using 9mm.

I personally prefer the Oly setup as its pretty much plug and play. You can use a standard AR lower, no special parts. Just get a mag block, and some dirt cheap sten mags and your in business.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the RRA 9mm .. the colt or colt cut uzi mags are silly expensive (yeah been doing the bills today and discretionary funding is not looking to be large this payday) but the promags are good enough for government work and I like em.

All said and told the gun is a hoot, don't know that I'd SBR it over going with a UMP clone.. but that's me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you. But I have found a use for 9mm Ar's. They allow me to shoot at indoor carbine side matches in IDPA. They are also a great under study gun for a real AR in .223 at half the ammo cost to shoot. Inside 100 yards the 9mm is good for training you for your .223. For real uses .223 all the way.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, my $.02: The 9mm is an absolute hoot to shoot with the AR platform. My buddy has the Oly set-up and it is just fine except I don't like the semi-hoaky mag. well insert and the mags. are a beotch to load. That being said, why not take the several hundred dollars and buy some reloading equipment and just shoot .223 for practice? It's fun and you'll be surprised how little it costs to load .223 practice ammo. It's what I do and I wholeheartedly reccomend it! Happy shooting!;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, my $.02: The 9mm is an absolute hoot to shoot with the AR platform. My buddy has the Oly set-up and it is just fine except I don't like the semi-hoaky mag. well insert and the mags. are a beotch to load. That being said, why not take the several hundred dollars and buy some reloading equipment and just shoot .223 for practice? It's fun and you'll be surprised how little it costs to load .223 practice ammo. It's what I do and I wholeheartedly reccomend it! Happy shooting!;-)
I shoot 223 a lot but I started shooting my 9mm more and more when I could because even when you reload 223 cost twice as much to reload as 9mm even when you don't count the cost of the brass. The bullets are the same price roughly but the .223 uses 5 times as much powder on average. If you do the math you can reload 2 9mm rounds for ever 1 223 round.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get the Oly 9mm upper. The other guys (Colt and RRA) you have to exchange parts to get to work in an existing lower. The Oly's are as simple as exchanging the upper and installing the mag block.

SNS Industries also has mag blocks that I believe are superior to Olympics 9mm magazine well blocks, but that is my opinion. But I don't think anyone would disagree the SNS blocks look better.

But The SNS mag blocks still work with Olympics uppers no problem.

My 2 cents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SBR question if you got the SBR tag could you then go and put a short barrel for 223 on it? or would you have to attain another tag for another caliber? (for my build it would be really valuable to have two same length barrels 6.5s are a bitch to buy)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When filling out the Form 1: Application to make and transfer a firearm, (AKA SBR paperwork), you can list alternate calibers besides the primary caliber you're going to use so you don't limit yourself to only one.

Whatever caliber is listed on the form would be legal later on. And consequently, whatever isn't listed on the form, you couldn't use later on from my understanding.

Many folks list "Multi Caliber" as an alternate so as to not paint themselves in a corner so to speak. For the most part, if you list alternate and multiple calibers on the form when it's approved, you can use them without having to go through the process all over again.

If you've already got approved for only one caliber, the only way to use different barrels would be to register a whole new lower as the one you have would already be registered for something else.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get the Oly 9mm upper. The other guys (Colt and RRA) you have to exchange parts to get to work in an existing lower. The Oly's are as simple as exchanging the upper and installing the mag block.

SNS Industries also has mag blocks that I believe are superior to Olympics 9mm magazine well blocks, but that is my opinion. But I don't think anyone would disagree the SNS blocks look better.

But The SNS mag blocks still work with Olympics uppers no problem.

My 2 cents.
+1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, that looks like mine!

Oly upper with Hahn block. I am very happy with it. The Oly upper has proven to be a true 'plug-and-play' upper. Zero hiccups.
Oh really? Thats good to here. I haven't heard of any problems with the Oly 9mm uppers now that I think about it. Hmmmmmmmmmm. That Hahn block looks much better than the one in the pic I posted. The Sten mags look freakishly long though. Nice rifle Hikeeba.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about getting an upper for mine but with the mag block and other things thought it easier for myself to just get the whole rifle. 9mm in the AR is such a hoot to shoot! :twisted:

Being in Canada, we shoot indoors a lot and there aren't too many places where you can shoot .223 indoors because of the backstop and it's only 50m at most. The 9mm you can basically shoot at most indoor pistol ranges since it's still a handgun chambered gun.

The 9mm actually feels WAY KEWL to shoot, too. I don't know why exactly but it feels like there's more kick to it than with the .223 but I imagine it's because of the basic design being a blow-back instead of a gas-system action.

Depends on what type of shooting you want to do. If you want serious accuracy and serious shooting, stick with the .223 for an AR. If you want something that's fairly economical and really fun to shoot, then I'm sure you'll find the 9mm AR a joy to shoot like a lot of us here feel.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oops, forgot to mention....

If you get LSWC bullets, it makes the 9mm AR even more KEWL and more fun to shoot! :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright since no one has offered Scalce I'll take your Ciener kit off your hands for you when the time is right just let me know:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts