AR15 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few lingering questions about AR stuff. Will be purchasing some of these things in the near future. Also a couple of questions about differences, meanings, etc.

- What is the difference in Pre ban and Post ban now that the ban is lifted? Do all parts interchange just the same?

- Is a cheaper Aimpoint panoramic sight just as good as an EoTech for simple home defense uses?

- Chromed bolt carrier or just a good brand mil-spec group will do fine?

- Buffer weight for mid-length rifle?

- What the hell does SOG and SOCOM stand for?? ( I am ex-military and I dont know this :oops: )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no difference in post ban and preban. during the days of the ban, "pre ban" meant something, now it just means you have an old weapon with no special features.

chrome and enhanced bolt carriers are kinda dumb to me, but it is your money and really up to you if it is worth it.

get heavy buffer for everything be it middy, car, or rifle... but it really does not make that much of a difference.

socom? google is your friend Headquarters, United States Special Operations Command (Unclassified)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am asking these things because I dont want to spend money uselessly! ;)

Oh, the other things such as SOG, SOCOM, SOPMOD are just acronymns that are driving me nuts. Every gun magazine I read has these acros plastered from one end to another. Its almost like the word "Tactical" being used EVERYWHERE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOG = Special Operations Group

SOCOM = Special Operations Command

SOPMOD = Special Operations Peculiar Modification (Army)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am asking these things because I dont want to spend money uselessly! ;)

Oh, the other things such as SOG, SOCOM, SOPMOD are just acronymns that are driving me nuts. Every gun magazine I read has these acros plastered from one end to another. Its almost like the word "Tactical" being used EVERYWHERE.
yeah they are all pretty much the same and people like to attach these names of sopmod, sog, and socom next to their product name to make us think they were blessed by elves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOG = Special Operations Group

SOCOM = Special Operations Command

SOPMOD = Special Operations Peculiar Modification (Army)
Yes, but what I think the OP wants is to know what the difference between these three rifles are...like what makes a SOCOM rifle different from a SOPMOD one?

I don't know myself but am interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My replies in red

- What is the difference in Pre ban and Post ban now that the ban is lifted? Do all parts interchange just the same?

Postban lacks some certain features like threaded barrels or flashiders and bayonet lugs and the likes. The major parts like uppers and lowers and the likes are interchangable, but in the case of flashiders and such, some new parts would be in order to "convert" it to a preban version or have a gunsmith thread the existing muzzle to 1/2-28 tpi if you want it compatible with a preban version for threaded muzzle attachments.

Basically, postban weapons are the nuetered versions because politicians are ignorant of real facts, were mislead, or altogether biased and just don't care.

Some states and municipalities enacted their own versions of the AWB (assualt weapon ban) to what defines an assualt weapon on a local level, so make sure you do your research to make sure you can own a preban (or any) version and truthfully, most people can, but basically preban versions have everything that makes them more evil :confused:

- Is a cheaper Aimpoint panoramic sight just as good as an EoTech for simple home defense uses?

Sorry, but I don't know of a cheap aimpoint or eotech unless you get lucky and find a good deal or something. You're probably asking about typical red dot sights.

For recreational use, most of the red dots will work fine, but don't expect them to survive death rays or very hard use. Of course there are exceptions, but I'm generalizing all the "economy ones" in the same category because there really are some differences. The various clones aren't really designed for hard use, but would be easier on your pocketbook if you're experimenting to see what you like or don't like and is cheaper than laying down $300 on something you don't.

- Chromed bolt carrier or just a good brand mil-spec group will do fine?

My opinion, chromed carriers don't really enhance much of anything. maybe a little more lubricity or added weight, but a standard mil-spec carrier should be just fine. Just make sure there is good staking on the carrier key and run as much ammo as you can through it to make sure it's totally 100% dead serious reliable before fully trusting it in a real situation where your life may be on the line.

- Buffer weight for mid-length rifle?

It depends on the buttstock you're going to use. If you install a standard A1 or A2 buttstock, then use a rifle length buffer. If you install a collapsible you could probably use any of the buffers, but if you want to upgrade to an H, H1,H2 heavy buffer, I don't see what it would hurt, but probably wouldn't be necessary with a midlength gas system.

- What the hell does SOG and SOCOM stand for?? ( I am ex-military and I dont know this :oops: )

Myk9noseknows already nailed those questions

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my opinion, of course, but if you intend for your weapon to be used in a defensive situation, it's hard to beat an EOTech. It's a true holographic sight and the dot will be on the target without regard to your cheek weld on the stock, thus you are more likely to take down your target in a high-stress situation. Bushnell holosights are essentially the same sight but not hardened for combat use (less expensive, however). As suggested previously, you might want to try a cheap red-dot of Chinese origin to see if you like that kind of sight before you drop the big bucks for your final choice optic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts