AR15 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh crap.
The IRS is giving me a decent refund, and I've decided to get me an AR. :p
I'm completely new to the AR scene, and have an idea of what I want, and I've found that the CMMG bargain bin 16" M4gery is looking decent.
Mainly, I'm getting this for fun, occasional coyote hunting, and perhaps an SHTF scenario.

Thoughts:

I'll need iron sights, .gov isn't giving me THAT much money. I'm thinking something along the lines of a removable carry handle.

Stock... eh. The cheap one from CMMG isn't doing it for me. It will work for a while, but I'm looking at a CTR. Does anyone know if the bargain bin rifles come with the commercial or mil-spec buffer tubes?

Also, I'll eventually get a sling, probably single point.

So, here is the big question.

I would enjoy building one from scratch, but it seems that I would save some $$$ by just changing the parts I want from the CMMG bargain bin setup.

I've been looking over the posts of those who have received their rifles from CMMG, and have yet to see a negative post.

Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
i built a rifle off of a cmmg upper not one of the bargain bin rifles just a store bought 18" upper

well i am really happy with it

i dont know if it will be cheaper to build one or to swap parts out from the bargain bin one. i guess it all depends on what all you will change out

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
The advantage of the CMMG is that it is put together for you and you would have a fully functional rifle in the time it takes to get it shipped. The con is that it doesn't have a carry handle or rear sight which adds cost to you. It also is a toss up what lower receiver brand you end up with since it is basically a grab bag which one they give you.

The advantage of an "assemble yourself" AR is that you can choose what lower you want and what other parts (pistol grip, stock, etc) you want. Of course you also learn about how to put a rifle together which is helpful. The con is that it takes a lot of time to assemble the parts from different places and put them together.

I believe you could put together a identical "bargain bin" carbine together cheaper than what you can buy one from CMMG. Price wise though, I think it would be a wash when you consider the time spent gathering the parts and putting the rifle together. Not to mention when you start swapping out parts to make your own or upgrade a CMMG.

If I was looking for my first AR (I've built 8 of them) I would very tempted to get the CMMG.

In regard to the buffer tube, I believe the CMMG uses a three position tube instead of the M4 4 position tube. I have rifles with both and I don't think it makes any difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried CMMG, but one thing to think about. If you start up grading parts, how much are you really saving. Plus then what happens with the parts you replace. More pile in the closet? Check out Model1sales for gun kits. You can up grade from the start reasonably priced. Your upper is all assembled also. Then buy whatever lower receiver that you would like. As far as lowers go. I believe there are only a few actual manufactureing places, and they put various names on the side. As long as you buy a forged lower, there all going to be good quality. IMO

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking I might just piece one together, as I can buy parts as I go along, and save some $$$, as well as get exactly what I want.

I'm still looking at CMMG uppers, and I'm specifically looking at the 18" SPR Upper w/Mid Length Gas system with an added carry handle.

What should I be thinking about when looking at the 18" upper? The way I see it, is it falls right between the 16" and 20" rifle size. Still maneuverable, but not a full size.

Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I'm looking at Model 1 sales 16" CAR "lightweight" kits. Just how much lighter are they?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking I might just piece one together, as I can buy parts as I go along, and save some $$$, as well as get exactly what I want.

Thoughts?
That is the proccess that I take. First you have know what you want.
A 16" CAR is going to be a couple pounds lighter than a 18" SPR type.
Once you know what you want to build, start collecting the parts. When done you can have something to be proud of. :cool:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/64237-another-m4gery.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts