AR15 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a 16 inched M-4 from Stag arms. What is an effective defense round for it. I have several hundred rounds of the green tipped M855 ammo. Is there a better round out there. I have read reports that the men and women in Iraq have stated that they shoot the bad guys and they do not fall down but keep fighting.
This may sound like a dumb question but I have not been in the military and have no real first hand knowledge of what to expect as far as effectiveness.
Thank for any imput.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 Hornady TAP uses a special powder to help keep muzzle flash down in low light situations. Plus it is a hollow point round so hopefully a reduced chance of a "shoot through".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a 16 inched M-4 from Stag arms. What is an effective defense round for it. I have several hundred rounds of the green tipped M855 ammo. Is there a better round out there. I have read reports that the men and women in Iraq have stated that they shoot the bad guys and they do not fall down but keep fighting.
This may sound like a dumb question but I have not been in the military and have no real first hand knowledge of what to expect as far as effectiveness.
Thank for any imput.
How many zombies do you envision shooting at any one time? If you have a 30 round clip then you could shoot just about anything. Any old FMJ ammo will do the job. This home defense stuff is so overrated it's not funny.

Personally, If any zombie can get past a 5- 30 round clips of FMJ then I deserve to die. I keep a 45 sidearm and 5 full clips of hollow point Federal Premium HST +P 230 gr just in case...........I'm NOT worried.

An AR 15 is probably not the best home defense weapon available. In order of use I would say, shotgun, 45 ACP or higher and THEN an AR15 but that's just me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many zombies do you envision shooting at any one time? If you have a 30 round clip then you could shoot just about anything. Any old FMJ ammo will do the job. This home defense stuff is so overrated it's not funny.

Personally, If any zombie can get past a 5- 30 round clips of FMJ then I deserve to die. I keep a 45 sidearm and 5 full clips of hollow point Federal Premium HST +P 230 gr just in case...........I'm NOT worried.

An AR 15 is probably not the best home defense weapon available. In order of use I would say, shotgun, 45 ACP or higher and THEN an AR15 but that's just me.
+1 Dont need a JHP round if its coming out of a AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Granted what I will suggest are reloads but the Hornady 55 grain V-Max is very impressive on the milk jugs I've shot. I plan to make those my PD ammo for home and campsite.

Not to be a nit picky ol fart but they are magazines ... not clips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Granted what I will suggest are reloads but the Hornady 55 grain V-Max is very impressive on the milk jugs I've shot. I plan to make those my PD ammo for home and campsite.

Not to be a nit picky ol fart but they are magazines ... not clips.
I can't believe I posted that.........WTF???????

I know they're MAGAZINES............Must have been one of my McCallan Nights..hahaha. I don't think I've EVER said clips........YUK!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first mag is loaded with Hornady 75gr TAP. The other nine are loaded with various M193 variants.

IMO the AR-15 IS the best home defense weapon available.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are gonna use relatively expensive ammunition for self defense in your AR-15 why the need to shoot several rounds into a target to stop it when probably ONE JHP self defense round would do the trick?

JHP rounds are made to do severe damage and stop inside the target (hopefully). 5.56/223 is a very high velocity round with more than enough power to over penetrate very easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts