AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying 1 or 2000 rds of .223 in the near future. Being new to the AR's, I was wondering what the best deal was. I will be using it mainly for sport shooting and I dont plan on reloading right away. I picked up 100 rds of Remi brass tonight at wally world (last 5 boxes) just to get me through the match this weekend. I have started looking around for bulk deals at different places locally, and on the web. My main concern was that the gentleman at the local gun store who sold me the rifle tells me that the ammo with the lacquer finish on it will build up on my bolt and chamber causing damage. Wolf ammo seems to be a pretty good deal and I was wondering if it has this coating on it and if so, is it something I should be concerned about. Your experience and wisdom is greatly appreciated. I apologize if this information is posted somewhere else already, I am still figuring this site out. Thanks to all who respond.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wolf makes polymer coated .223, some other Russian still has lacquer on it. It was the red sealant they used not the lacquer that would build up and gum things up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the stuff he showed me was "Bear" or "something-Bear" ammo that had the lacquer on it and yes, it has a red substance around the primer and outside of the casing. So, should I avoid this ammo, and is Wolf a good alternative?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now days whatever you can find is a good deal :razz:
There is Brown Bear, and Silver Bear. The silver is zinc coated. Either is fine, you just have to scrub a bit harder to clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any idea what AIM charges to ship 1000 rounds? Just curious to see what the total price is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts