AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cleaning rod do you use for your AR-15? Aluminum teflon coated? or Stainless steel?

Where do I buy a bore guide from? Can I get one locally at Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas?

What kind of jig do you use? Plaistic?

What size bore brush do I buy? .22?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wouldn't use SS for the full length rod because it is harder then the aluminum or brass rods. People seem to like the Dewey rods.

I have not seen 223 bore guides in stores around here. I think you have to order them online.

I like brass jags.

Yes the brush is usually a .22 diameter.

After screwing with different setups here is what I do:

I spray the chamber down with some Hoppes that I put in a 99 cent spray bottle from Target.
I jam an AR15 chamber brush on a non-rotating handle into the chamber and twist a few times.
I might repeat the first two steps depending on how dirty it is.
I spray some Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner in and around the chamber and let it drain down the barrel.
I either spray alittle more Hoppes down the barrel or wet a Bore Snake and run that a few times.
Spray the barrel down with brake cleaner again and maybe run the Bore Snake down it.

So far this is way faster, way easier, and way less risky then jamming a rod with a jig and patch from the breach end or pulling a patch from the muzzle end with a patch loop.

This process is good enough to clean my AR afrter shooting Wolf and 22s with a conversion kit so it gets the job done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought a boresnake and I am very impressed. 2 times down the pipe and the barrel was clean as a whistle.

I asked my cousin's husband over Christmas what they use in the sandbox and he said all he, and many others, use is CLP and a boresnake to clean their M4's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A rod does not toucheth my AR, or any other rifle I own. I use a Bore Snake, or I use the Otis system. After I had ruined a couple of bores, rather than shot them out, I learned my lesson.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. So what length cleaning rod do I need for a 16" barrel?
A bit over 16 inches.:lol:

Seriously, if you are wanting to use a rod, just get the USGI kit. You will get the appropriate rods, brushes, patch loop etc. for about $10. Maybe a little more if you get the one that attachés to a web belt VS the buttstock one.

I have the big Otis kit, the USGI kit, and boresnakes. The Otis usually sits in my closet, the USGI kit, and boresnake are generally in my AR case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought a tipton 26" carbon fiber rod for my 16" AR. It's the perfect length for that barrel with a bore guide in the upper. The tipton rod is great quality.

I bought the JP enterprises bore guide from midway. Again, nice quality, made from aluminum and has a solvent port. Has O-rings that sit against the upper so there isn't any scraping.

I do like the bore snake for cleaning but sometimes you just gotta give it a good scrubbing. I'm anal about cleaning it and like it to be spotless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought a tipton 26" carbon fiber rod for my 16" AR. It's the perfect length for that barrel with a bore guide in the upper. The tipton rod is great quality.

I bought the JP enterprises bore guide from midway. Again, nice quality, made from aluminum and has a solvent port. Has O-rings that sit against the upper so there isn't any scraping.

I do like the bore snake for cleaning but sometimes you just gotta give it a good scrubbing. I'm anal about cleaning it and like it to be spotless.

Yea I was wondering which I should get.. This one looks cheaper http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...632&title=DEWEY SEMI-AUTO CLEANING ROD GUIDES but this one seems to be a bit better quality.. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...x?p=7595&title=AR-15 AR-10 CLEANING ROD GUIDE

Id be getting the JP for about $25.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spray some Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner in and around the chamber and let it drain down the barrel.
Perhaps a dumb question but is the non-chlorinated brake cleaner better or just different than a product like powder blast? I am assuming you could use the brake cleaner in a similar manner ... ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps a dumb question but is the non-chlorinated brake cleaner better or just different than a product like powder blast? I am assuming you could use the brake cleaner in a similar manner ... ?
Alot of guys here recommended non-chlorinated brake cleaner to me for non plastic/polymer or rubber parts.

I do use Polymer Safe Gunscrubber for my XD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't like rods, you have to be gentle, I don't like wire brushes too harsh on the crown.

If your going to use them, start with the rod going in first from the back of the rifle, sounds obvious but some people don't do it.

My platoon likes boresnakes too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts