AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
OK so today I shot my buddies AR-15 and I gotta say, I love the accuracy and everything.

So I was just wondering... how logical would it be to deer hunt with an AR-15? Is it legal in TX, and would it put a deer down if hit in the heart?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
OK so today I shot my buddies AR-15 and I gotta say, I love the accuracy and everything.

So I was just wondering... how logical would it be to deer hunt with an AR-15? Is it legal in TX, and would it put a deer down if hit in the heart?
It might, but honestly I'd look for something other than .223 if possible for reliable humane hunting of whitetailed deer.

6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, or .308 would be much better for deer; however if you're an excellent shot capable of great accurate hits you might be able to squeeze by with 75grain .223 (but you'll need a 1x7 barrel at least to stabalize the bullet).

IIRC, it is legal to hunt to hunt with semi-autos in Texas.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
A 22LR will kill a deer! it doesn't mean that it is a good deer cartridge. The same thing applies to the 223. There are many people who will say that they have killed lots and lots of deer with the 223. The problem is that shot placement is very very critical and the problem is amplified on small cartridges.

When hunting (it doesn't matter what type) you want to make the most humane kill as possible - nobody likes to see animals run around with holes in it, or have a leg blown off because of a bad shot or improper cartridge or the wrong ammo selection.

I know its expensive to buy another rifle, but you really should get a bigger caliber for deer. hunting is expensive - just like all of your other hobbies:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
A 22LR will kill a deer! it doesn't mean that it is a good deer cartridge. The same thing applies to the 223. There are many people who will say that they have killed lots and lots of deer with the 223. The problem is that shot placement is very very critical and the problem is amplified on small cartridges.
That's why I said excellent shot. I know every once in a while the swat team thins the herds in the parks in philly and at most they use .223, but I think they may use .22magnums or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I said excellent shot. I know every once in a while the swat team thins the herds in the parks in philly and at most they use .223, but I think they may use .22magnums or something.

They do that around here too.....I wonder if the don't use suppressors or something.

I get a kick out of it........they call them "professional hunters" I often think that its some politictions brother in-law who is a avid hunter going out there having a field day.

If they opened up the parks to bow hunters and charged $10-20 for a tag - they would make a ton of cash. Instead they use our tax money and pay like $150 per deer:rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
i could kill a deer with a butter knife and rosie odonalds new book if i reallty thought about it but doesnt mean its a great idea..lol

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
i generally use my 7mm rem mag for hunting about everything but when im in really thick river bottom after white tail i pull out the AR ive bagged a couple with it. its easier to get a quick shot off on a fleeing target with it than to try to find it with the scope on my winchester

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
With some of the new Barnes heavies I would. Its all about shot placement, people hunt deer with .357 Mags all the time so why not the .223 puts down more FPE than a .44 mag.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
It is legal to hunt all game in the state of Texas with semi auto's. The .223 is also a legal caliber to hunt deer with in Texas. You can do it, but as others have said, it is NOT the optimum cartridge for deer hunting. Just so you know, there are manufacturers out there who are producing the AR-15 platform in hunting cartridges for the exact reasons that you're talking about, alot of people like the platform. You CAN purchase AR's in .243, which is a great deer cartridge. You can also purchase what some people refer to as AR-10's, which is a .308 that will also do the job nicely. As others have said, you can kill deer with a .223, but you have to be using the right bullet (not varmint rounds but rounds for thicker skinned animals) and you must place the shot VERY precisely.

I figured that I would include a couple of links to rifles that are better suited to deer hunting built on the AR platform. Please look at other manufacturers beause I'm sure there are others that produce these calibers, this is just something to give you some ideas if you really like the AR platform. Remember that you could also always get a different upper and have 1.5 rifles, where you can switch calibers if you like the .223. Hope this helps and please be humane, if you choose the .223 please don't use some surplus fmj ammo to hunt deer with.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=23 <<.243 AR
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/category.aspx?id=8 << .260 AR
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/category.aspx?id=9 << .308 AR
http://www.rockriverarms.com/Catlist.cfm?Category=05 << RRA's .308's, just click the links to view some of the rifles.

Remington is supposed to be coming out with a camo AR that will be designated as the R-15. I have heard rumors that it is supposedly a bushmaster AR that has the Remington logo and some camouflage on it. I'm not sure if it will come in any other calibers besides .223.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWVMS20FPRED8.asp <<Bushmaster in camo, but I believe it only comes in .223

I have heard that the .243 AR's are actually AR-10's chambered in .243 because of the different bolt face size. AR-10's don't usually have quite the same universal sizes of parts that AR-15's do, so it's something to consider if you wanted to customize it more or build one from different parts from different manufacturers. Alot of people would recommend that if you are going to an AR-10 platform, just go with the .308 because it is such a soft recoiling, heavy bullet shooting, consistent cartridge. If you wanted to go crazy, DPMS also makes a rifle in the .300 SAUM (short action ulta mag) which will definately work for deer, lol, but it has a bit more recoil than the .308. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard that the .243 AR's are actually AR-10's chambered in .243 because of the different bolt face size.
The .243 was created by necking down the .308 case for a .243 bullet.

(I think) the AR - 243 is an AR-10 with a smaller (.243) barrel. I think they use the same bolt because the case size is the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
.260 Rem is also available. A little more knock down power than the .243 without the recoil of the .308 6.5's rock no matter what the case size.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
My wife's Grandfather (who lives in the woods of southern Arkansas) usually uses a .270 BAR, but he told me today that he has killed more deer with a .22 than anything else. He also said it was the best hunting rifle he owned.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
.270 is a great deer cartridge. - My grandpa used to us a .22lr single shot rifle to kill his cows. Sometimes it took 1 shot sometimes more.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts