AR15 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's illegal to put a forward vertical pistol grip on an AR-15 pistol (without making an AOW) but Ruger is marketing its new Charger pistol with a bipod? Could you put a bipod on an AR pistol? I know the ATF has issued statements that specifically say it's a violation to put a forward grip on a pistol.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=4901

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you try and understand it your head will explode.
Why something like a vertical grip that can be taken on and off in 2 seconds makes a gun illegal, while something that could be used for the same purpose, like a bipod, is okay, is simply beyond me.
Do they think we can't simply use the mag as a forward grip? Why does having something placed further forward on the gun make it "bad."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because a bipod is not a forward grip.
Well, if a bipod is OK, why not a monopod? Does that mean as long as I built something or bought something marketed as a monopod then it would be a non-violation (I almost said "legal" but we all know that half of what the BATFE says and decides is not based on law, just opinion).

I don't even have an AR pistol, so I don't know why this is bugging me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is true we are talking about the same folks that say a shoestring makes a machinegun lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can put a forward on this machine if
you like after you purchase it. Hello, an
AOW is only $5.00.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can put a forward on this machine if
you like after you purchase it. Hello, an
AOW is only $5.00.

Ed
I can't make one for $5 - maybe you can, Ed. I could buy one and the transfer tax would be $5, after all the paperwork, signatures, fingerprints, shipping fees and the approval wait. If I were to make on it would be $200 as I'm not a Class 3 dealer. I wasn't really talking about the possibilities of NFA weapons in the original post - just pointing out the technicalities between a bipod, monopod and vertical grip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't make one for $5 - maybe you can, Ed. I could buy one and the transfer tax would be $5, after all the paperwork, signatures, fingerprints, shipping fees and the approval wait. If I were to make on it would be $200 as I'm not a Class 3 dealer. I wasn't really talking about the possibilities of NFA weapons in the original post - just pointing out the technicalities between a bipod, monopod and vertical grip.
Oh! ;)

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you have a class 3 AOW Manufacturer do it then its $5 but if you do it your self its $200

i went through this when i wanted an AOW shotgun and since buying the shorter version (14") cost about $200 extra for no aparent reason i was going to buy a 18" shotgun that came with a pistol grip from the factory and then pay the $5 tax but that is not the case now i could have done it and p[ay the $200 but i would rather have a factory version since the overall price is the same.
well i ended up getting a 14" mossberg 590 (still waiting on tax stamp)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonder if you took the grippy stuff off a grip pod, would you be afoul? probably, but a fun argument nonetheless

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if a bipod is OK, why not a monopod? Does that mean as long as I built something or bought something marketed as a monopod then it would be a non-violation (I almost said "legal" but we all know that half of what the BATFE says and decides is not based on law, just opinion).

I don't even have an AR pistol, so I don't know why this is bugging me.
A monopod specifically purchased for that purpose should be legal for use on a pistol. If you got busted for having a monopod on your pistol, you'd better have the packaging for the monopod you purchased. No where does it specifically say a monopod or bipod can't be used on a pistol.

Truthfully, you'll want to write a letter to the ATF and tell them that you're intrested in having the bipod on your Ruger/TC/AR/etc. changed out with a monopod. DO NOT ask if a monopod is legal because you can use it for a front grip. It's all in how you word it. Once clearification comes down, post it. :D

Hardwarz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts