AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around at kits for my Wife's AR project. Been looking at complete kits minus the stripped lower which I think is going to be the best route for me. Here is what I have been able to find so far. Pretty much stock 20 inch A3s with a detach carry handle thrown in.

AR15-M16.com
After throwing in a stripped lower from a local joint it's going to be around 740 or 750.

m-aparts.com
They are the cheapest so far but they don't seem to offer Chrome lining on their barrels/chambers which is somethimng I won't go without on this gun.
525.00 I have e-mailed them to see if it would be possible to get a chrome lined barrel/chamber for this guy.

Del-Ton
645.17 after shipping and taxes (they are NC based so I have to pay state tax)

I can get stripped lowers at a few local places so that won't need to be ordered on line.

What say you?

Is it cheaper to buy a built upper and then buy a lower parts kit somewhere else?

The CMMG built uppers cost as much as the top two kits do.

Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You say buy a built upper, stripped lower and a lower parts kit? Whats the purpose of the rifle? I know you military folk just have to have certain things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check out ar15sales.com
they have RRA kits for around $600 or stag kits for a little more that include a flip up rear site.

both come with 1/9 chrome lined barrels and the RRA has a 2 stage match trigger.

Top notch customer service

I got a stag upper from them within days... free shipping!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you order from ar15sales.com, prepare for a wait. My friend is at 7 weeks waiting for his upper. Pete is a great guy, there is just a backup right now. He'll get it eventually, and I'm sure it'll be great but just a heads up on the lead time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say buy a built upper, stripped lower and a lower parts kit? Whats the purpose of the rifle? I know you military folk just have to have certain things.
Target/Comp gun. Also part of the wife's SHTF kit most likely. I'm not willing to go with a chrome molly barrel it has to be chrome lined or it won't fly in my book (personal prefrence that's all).

Has to be a 20incher 'cause that's what she wants.

And yes it will be a built upper, stripped lower, and a parts kit.

The wait is cool she's not slated to be back from Iraq till sometime in July.

I'll check out AR15sales and report back thanks for the website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget to get a price on model1sales.com

I went through the same thing as you, build it all, buy a complete upper, etc..
I bought the upper complete because of lack of tools and knowledge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked Model one sales that's a freakin' great price. Less than 700 bucks after lower reciever. Sweet. Even with the stuff she wants.

I'll check AR15sales when I get home tonight I can't look it up here at work it's blocked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Target/Comp gun. Also part of the wife's SHTF kit most likely. I'm not willing to go with a chrome molly barrel it has to be chrome lined or it won't fly in my book (personal prefrence that's all).
No problem on wanting a chrome lined barrel as preference in a target gun, but honestly, non chromed barrels are more accurate.

Consider a stainless steel barrel instead if accuracy is the main goal and you don't want a chromemoly barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
del ton has good prices but they got hit with a massive amount of orders early february. I ordered my AR kit Feb 4th but its still on backorder (awaiting lower parts)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's another bump for Pete at AR15SALES.COM .. straight shooter, a tad gruff some times if you're jerking his chain. He will have the best prices on STAG and RRA kits and uppers... if you find one some where else at a better price, give Pete a chance to earn your business.

Personally Del-Ton and CMMG are right up there as well. Model1sales, I'm leery, not out of personal experience but from enough reported issues that I'm not willing to risk it.

I might also ask why not get a CMMG bargain bin rifle and spend the extra on upgrades? - Noticing right now that they don't have any of the chrome lined uppers in the bin.. that changes often though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never seen a 20 incher in the bargin bin.

Outright accuracy is not at the top of the list on this rifle. With any firearm I buy outright reliability has to be tops, that's one of the reasons I want the chrome lined chamber/bore. It will most likely be more accurate than she or I are anyway.

I'll keep shopping around it may be next payday before I pick up the kit. JTdist. seems to have a good price on a 20inch flat top with chrome lining.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
delton has good customer service from what I have experienced. I've emailed them a few times and called them once. Each time its prompt and friendly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can find a couple other people to get kits with you jt will give you dealer pricing if you spend over $1000, that brought my last 16" car kit down to $420.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts