AR15 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I could just buy an AK but I would like to hear the pros and cons on an AR in 7.62X39 from you guys first.

Are there uppers available and from who, who makes the best upper, how reliable and accurate are they? Are mags expensive and hard to find? Etc, etc, etc! Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
uppers are available from several sources.

Reliable mags are not available unless Cproducts have released them yet. They keep pushing the release dates back from the last time I emailed them.

It's possible to modify existing 5.56 mag followers and feed lips, but depending on who does it, the quality is usually questionable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought, but an AR is innately more accurate than an AK, the ar system is inline, the stock the bolt, suppressor everything. All the parts on an ak are slightly off center making the second shot innately innacurate on semi or full auto. I'd go for the AR if you can afford it in 7.62X39. Course if your willing to spend a good chunk of change a good ak can be bought for about the same price as an AR. (have you thought of a bullpup AK?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure and can't go peek right now, but doesn't Robinson have an XCR in 7.62x39? Doesn't POF as well?

You'll spend less on a quality Arsenal AK than you will on an AR in 7.62x39.. not to say you shouldn't have an AR, just don't know that the cost of doing it in that caliber is truly justifiable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a thought, but an AR is innately more accurate than an AK, the ar system is inline, the stock the bolt, suppressor everything. All the parts on an ak are slightly off center making the second shot innately innacurate on semi or full auto. I'd go for the AR if you can afford it in 7.62X39. Course if your willing to spend a good chunk of change a good ak can be bought for about the same price as an AR. (have you thought of a bullpup AK?)
Have looked at and like the Lancaster AKM 47 1mm stamped receiver. Was torn between the wood and the black poly models then heard that there might be uppers available for AR in 7.62x39. Thought I'd explore that before I finally decided which way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure and can't go peek right now, but doesn't Robinson have an XCR in 7.62x39? Doesn't POF as well?

You'll spend less on a quality Arsenal AK than you will on an AR in 7.62x39.. not to say you shouldn't have an AR, just don't know that the cost of doing it in that caliber is truly justifiable.

robinson will release the conversion when c-products releases the magazines and they get the kinks worked out... i cant speak for POF bc idk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really see the point. The 7.62 Russian is an decent round in an AK, but what are the benefits of an AR variant. Increased accuracy?, More punch? Better hunting round? If those are the cases get a 6.8 or 6.5. The only benefit I see is low cost ammo, but even that is increasing. If cost is the issue, get a .22 conversion or 9mm.

Don't get me wrong i love the 7.62x39, as my first EBR was a Saiga AK103 conversion, which I like more than my AR but for a hunting round for the AR I'm going for the 6.8. Just my .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe the SCAR will have a 7.62x39 and so will the Masada. Again I'm just not personally seeing the value on a 7.62x39 AR configuration.. think about how damn dirty that chamber and BCG is going to get. I think there are better options in that caliber. But hey, it ain't my money. Still if I were to go this route I'd be all over LWRC or POF for their version. Then again I'm a piston AR bigot, even without owning one!

I would like to see some hard data on accuracy and range efficiency of the 7.62x39 AR's. I can only imagine that the AR configuration (inline recoil and action) can only improve accuracy and effectiveness of the caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to see some hard data on accuracy and range efficiency of the 7.62x39 AR's. I can only imagine that the AR configuration (inline recoil and action) can only improve accuracy and effectiveness of the caliber.
The accuracy issues with 7.62x39 ammo is not entirely the gun that shoots it. There just aren't a lot of factory match loads for it. I doubt Russia is going to be interested in shooting competition, unless there are "live" targets.

The "hard" data is roughly the same as 30-30.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here goes: I'm a Chevy engine in a Chevy and Ford in a Ford kinda guy. We're talking Apples and Oranges here. Why would you want a cheap under powered round in a high dollar AR? And what is with the Russians answering the AR with the 5.45X39 in the AK?. Like it's gonna make an AK as accurate as an AR?!? Ok, lets put an under powered round that with the best of conditions including a quality platform like the AR, no wind, perfect temp., super quality ammo and a sharp shooter ticking them off will group decent (under 6") at almost 300m.!!?! Just doesn't make sense to me. Why not stay with the 5.56 NATO? Shoots accurately (way under 6") way past 300m! And what about the wreckage the steel cased ammo leaves in its' path after being fired through the AR platform? Naw, you can have that abortion of a rifle. Just get an SKS if you want to shoot cheap ammo, I did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you got anything aginst getting an ar10 in 308. i also did want a 7.62 ar15 but after research just didnt feel it was common enough i would way rather have an ar10 then a ar15 in 7x39.
this is how i would rate them on ones i would want
1.ar-10 (very cool but cost of ammo and gun are on the high end)
2.ar-15 in 5.56 (expensive but still reasonable ammo is cheaper then 308 but more then 762x39 and parts availability is great
3.ak-47 guns can be had for 350 and up ammo is dirt cheap and guns ar very reliable
4.ar15 in 7.62x39 (cheap ammo but gun is little more expensive then reg ar15 mags and other(7.62x39 specific) parts are hard to come buy)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you got anything aginst getting an ar10 in 308. i also did want a 7.62 ar15 but after research just didnt feel it was common enough i would way rather have an ar10 then a ar15 in 7x39.
this is how i would rate them on ones i would want
1.ar-10 (very cool but cost of ammo and gun are on the high end)
2.ar-15 in 5.56 (expensive but still reasonable ammo is cheaper then 308 but more then 762x39 and parts availability is great
3.ak-47 guns can be had for 350 and up ammo is dirt cheap and guns ar very reliable
4.ar15 in 7.62x39 (cheap ammo but gun is little more expensive then reg ar15 mags and other(7.62x39 specific) parts are hard to come buy)
Not opposed to a .308. I'm scrapping the idea of a conversion to 7.62X39 and considering going straight AK. Thanks to everyone for their input.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.308 is obselete unless you are using a long barrel then its a little different. 6.8 spc would suit you much better (I want a 6.5 so I can do damage with a 10" but its expensive)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts