AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i posted a thread earlier asking about a 22lr that i was looking at...i changed my mind...i wanna start building a AR/M4 type rifle....heres the problem...i have onlyshot one one twice and thats the ONLY contact i have ever had with one...i really want one for my self but need a starting point on what to buy where...i need some ideas...where do i start???

thanx,
COOKIE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Start by reading the posts in the AR forum section.

There are tons of choices. I am currently building my first AR as well.

Probably best to start with a lower receiver. That is the only part that requires you to purchase from an FFL (gun shop). EVERY THING else for the rifle can be purchased online or wherever without need of FFL.

I started with a MEGA "Gator" lower receiver (stripped) and purchased a lower parts kit (trigger and hammer kit with pins and springs). I am, just now, shopping for a good collapsible stock to complete my lower assembly.

Yesterday, I purchased my MEGA upper receiver (stripped). To that, I will add a charging handle, forward assist assembly, bolt group assembly, barrel, free float tube, sights and optics later on.

There are many parts that need to be purchased to build a kit, but, you can select according to the quality you desire and to meet your budget.

There are also necessary tools that you will need if you are going to build your AR at home. Otherwise, you can buy pieces already assembled and simply put it together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanx for ur help tally...i'm lookin at stag lowers right now...i have a friend thats is a owner of a shop here so i'm tryin to figure out which lower i want

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
start out your build with alot of research...spend a month or so reading anything and everything about the subject.

then make your decision.

ive been doing research for a few month's now while buying other guns ive been wanting to obtain...now i am ready to build my AR.

there is a ton of info out there between 3 great forum's:

xdtalk.com
m4carbine.net
ar15.com

i have learned ALOT in the last few month's from these 3 forum's alone.

or if you dont really care, and just want an "AR"...get whatever you want that fits your budget.

im starting with a Noveske stripped lower...once that gets here the build will take off pretty fast....im trying to get the hardest part out of the way first...the lower is the only part that requires a FFL, backround check, and other crap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you decide what you want, go to Pete at Legal transfers. He's awesome and will hook you up with what you want for a fair price. AR15 Sales

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
start out your build with alot of research...spend a month or so reading anything and everything about the subject.

then make your decision.
This is the best advice yet. I've saved up over the past year and have been doing a LOT of research. I wanted to build a tacticool AR of the highest quality possible, so I saved up the serious $$$$$ and have recently ordered everything I need. Now I am just waiting patiently for everything to arrive (it won't be till mid May for some parts to arrive -- the specialty items).

Just don't rush it and you will be happier later on. Also, you wont be wasting money changing out parts to customize the rifle to your needs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really really leanin towards the AR15sales.com site...i like the RRA stuff...we'll see i'm still readin bout them...thanxs everybody for your help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget reaserching... There is not much to building one yourself (I am not joking).

First: Find the cheapest lower you can. As long as it is milspec (which they all are) it will work fine. And get it striped, as this saved you an 11% federal tax that the assembled ones have on them.

Second: Shop around for a kit that you want. The kit will come with everything to put it together, general minus the mags.

I got mine from M&Aparts, but there is also Delton, Model1, and J&T distributing among others

Last: AR15.com has directions to put it together. All you realy need is a punch set, and the hands of a child. (Some of the parts are kinda small) If you think you may loos a part, put the lower together in a clear bag. I am not joking. The upper hsould come assembles and headspaced and test fired.

Mine upper is an unmarked LMT, there are other good brands also. And dont get hung up on chrome lined either for most of us it wont make a difference for the extra cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget reaserching... There is not much to building one yourself (I am not joking).

First: Find the cheapest lower you can. As long as it is milspec (which they all are) it will work fine. And get it striped, as this saved you an 11% federal tax that the assembled ones have on them.

Second: Shop around for a kit that you want. The kit will come with everything to put it together, general minus the mags.

I got mine from M&Aparts, but there is also Delton, Model1, and J&T distributing among others

Last: AR15.com has directions to put it together. All you realy need is a punch set, and the hands of a child. (Some of the parts are kinda small) If you think you may loos a part, put the lower together in a clear bag. I am not joking. The upper hsould come assembles and headspaced and test fired.

Mine upper is an unmarked LMT, there are other good brands also. And dont get hung up on chrome lined either for most of us it wont make a difference for the extra cost.
While this is true if you just want an AR-15 to shoot and don't really care about achieving maximum performance, ergonomics, fit, and finish, there are those like myself who care about these things and then research becomes a necessity.

To each his/her own I guess, but I'm the type to take any project to the maximum degree and make it perfect. Plus it's MY hard-earned dough on the line!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you want an AR the cheap and easy way...just buy a complete rifle from bushmaster, dpms, stag, or rra for $650-$900....or buy a complete lower, and a complete upper...then push in the 2 pins and call it a day for $650-$1200....

or build a rifle that is 100% built by you, using all parts you picked out, and installed.....for your specific need's, and application...cost may be slightly higher due to the parts you choose, and the route you take with the build...but you will know excatley where everything is, and how everything work's.

its only a build if you BUILD IT!

slapping together a lower, then tacking it to a complete upper isnt building a rifle...its just being lazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a rifle kit from Del-ton on 4/2. It shipped on 4/10 and arrived on 4/15. The rifle kit came with everything but a stripped lower receiver. I bought a receiver locally, and some magazines mail order. Since I chose a flat top, I also bought a rear sight. I got it all for $700.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ordered it too..hahaha can't wait man this thing is gonna be sweet...i just gotta find a lower around here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While this is true if you just want an AR-15 to shoot and don't really care about achieving maximum performance, ergonomics, fit, and finish, there are those like myself who care about these things and then research becomes a necessity.

To each his/her own I guess, but I'm the type to take any project to the maximum degree and make it perfect. Plus it's MY hard-earned dough on the line!

Hmmm... Im not so sure what is NEEDED beyon a basic AR for its preformance, fit, finish, and ergonomics.

I spent about 575$ on mine and put it together myself. It is an LMT upper 14.5inbbl+1.5 flash hider. Its fit and finish are excelent, as was the lower parts kit. It is nothign fancy, it is supposed to be a "battle" rifle.

The kits are relativly cheap too, so changing out pats is not that big of a deal. If want to ad an eotech, and a new grip later you can do so.

I did do research for mine, and concluded for a budget build, it all about the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm... Im not so sure what is NEEDED beyon a basic AR for its preformance, fit, finish, and ergonomics.

I spent about 575$ on mine and put it together myself. It is an LMT upper 14.5inbbl+1.5 flash hider. Its fit and finish are excelent, as was the lower parts kit. It is nothign fancy, it is supposed to be a "battle" rifle.

The kits are relativly cheap too, so changing out pats is not that big of a deal. If want to ad an eotech, and a new grip later you can do so.

I did do research for mine, and concluded for a budget build, it all about the same.
Everything is a *need* when it comes to guns, cars, and women. There are no *wants*. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*SNIP*
its only a build if you BUILD IT!

slapping together a lower, then tacking it to a complete upper isnt building a rifle...its just being lazy.
Guess I took the lazy route, as I bought my upper complete. I didn't want to buy tools that I would only need once. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts