AR15 Forums banner

AR Maintenance Question

1K views 17 replies 0 participants last post by  jednp 
G
#1 ·
Last week I bought a Stag Arms model 2L, and have been very happy with it, but I have noticed something that I thought I should ask about. I do not have a picture of it, but I can probably get one if needed. It has had approximately 240 rounds through it, thoroughly cleaned and lubricated after 100. When I was stripping it down to clean it today, I noticed that the bolt cam pin is starting to get a great deal of wear, with grooves beginning to wear in it where it contacts the bolt carrier. It sounds like kind of a noobish question, but is this normal for AR's? Thanks in advance, and I can try to get pictures if they are needed.

G
#4 ·
the grooves that I saw on mine were over the length of the pin, where it contacts the track in the bolt carrier. Unfortunately, my AR and I live in different places (college student on campus) so I can't get to it right now for a pic.

G
#9 ·
When it comes to oiling a gun, I am a minimalist. I only use a couple of drops of oil on where ever you have metal on metal contact. The more oil you have on the parts, the more dirt, and powder residue will have places to stick too.

Too much oil is a bad thing!

G
#10 ·
Odin said:
When it comes to oiling a gun, I am a minimalist. I only use a couple of drops of oil on where ever you have metal on metal contact. The more oil you have on the parts, the more dirt, and powder residue will have places to stick too.

+1

pete

G
#12 ·
mpak87 said:
the grooves that I saw on mine were over the length of the pin, where it contacts the track in the bolt carrier. Unfortunately, my AR and I live in different places (college student on campus) so I can't get to it right now for a pic.
so are you talking about wear marks on the cam pin once it's pulled out of the bolt? like down where the hole in it is, on the post?

I haven't seen any wear on my AR on any parts that have alarmed me, it all looks normal to me. I'm willing to bet the marks you are seeing on yours is normal too. Anyways get pics so we can see, then we can help you more.

G
#13 ·
I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but there seems to be a slight groove in the silver wear mark on the side of the pin. It's probably normal, but it did look a little excessive for only 250 or so rounds.

Thanks for the help.

G
#14 ·
Odin said:

Lubercation is very climate dependant. You want to use very little lube in a cold or dry sandy enviroment. However in coastal wet enviroment then you need the lube for corrosion resistance. Too much lube can be a bad thing but so can too little. It pays to read your manual.
Pat

G
#17 ·
Alaskapopo said:
Lubercation is very climate dependant. You want to use very little lube in a cold or dry sandy enviroment. However in coastal wet enviroment then you need the lube for corrosion resistance. Too much lube can be a bad thing but so can too little. It pays to read your manual.
Pat
Living in Houston goes without saying that it's humid as hell down here 8 months out of the year. That's the way I have alwasy lubed my firearms and seems to work well. The gas system in the AR is not the cleanest operating system in the world and having to clean it is a major PITA when everything inside is coated with powder residue. Just about all the internal parts of the AR is coated and the only parts that are bare is where you have metal on metal contact and those are the only parts I put oil on. No grease as it is a dirt magnet.

G
#18 ·
Odin said:
Living in Houston goes without saying that it's humid as hell down here 8 months out of the year. That's the way I have alwasy lubed my firearms and seems to work well. The gas system in the AR is not the cleanest operating system in the world and having to clean it is a major PITA when everything inside is coated with powder residue. Just about all the internal parts of the AR is coated and the only parts that are bare is where you have metal on metal contact and those are the only parts I put oil on. No grease as it is a dirt magnet.
I bet that intake clearner for vehicles would work good to clean the carbon out of the gas system. Just put some down the tube and let it sit.. then flush it out with some gun scrubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.