AR15 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night I put on a front hand guard on my RRA AR. Everything went perfect. gas tube is pinned in the gas block and fits into the bolt key. When shooting today, it will fire a round, not eject, so not cycle. i can manually recock after every shot, but not automatically. Everything is back together fine. The only thing i can think of is somehow there is a hole in the gas tube. Can anyone else think of any other reason this would happen?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok well on thing is the hole isnt alligned with the gas block
also sometimes when you take it apart and put it back together there can be some gas leaks and those should fill up with carbon after shooting it a little bit. mine took about 50 rounds before it would eject but it was almost 200 untill it worked normally. did you change the gas block?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not change the gas block. Just installed a free float hand guard.

How would the hole not align with gas block? it is pinned, and can only be pinned one way....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would check the hole on barrel and gas block and make sure they are lined up first.
the way i did this was
first you take the upper off and remove the BCG and then i put a snap cap or an embty case in the chamber and put a finger over the gas tube opening on the inside then blow in the barrel (which will add moisture so be sure to clean after) and take your finger on and off and see if air is makeing it through then you finger is on it if it is you have a leak and if air makes it through when your finger isnt on it that means everything should be ligned up.

also what i did at first is i sprayed solvent down the gas tube and you can see if it leaks out of the gas blcok and you can see if some makes it down the barrel.

and if you used screws on the gas block make sure they are very tight

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not change the gas block. Just installed a free float hand guard.

How would the hole not align with gas block? it is pinned, and can only be pinned one way....
ok that makes sence i switched to a screwed type one so i had to worrie about that. i would try the solvent down the gas tube to see if you have a leak. you will need the solvent that comes in a arashol can

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
going to tear it down tomorrow, do a pressure test on the bas tube/block, check bolt, and if that doesnt work, try the aerosol gig. thanks guys, anything else would be helpful

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Bolt fails to cycle properly[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- Make sure screws on clamp type gas block are tight[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- Make sure gas tube is not binding on bolt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- Make sure gas tube retaining pin is in place[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- Make sure gas tube is not damaged (cracked, bent, etc.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- Check ammo. Cheap factory ammo is often the culprit. Feed it the good stuff during test[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- There may be a leak around the gas block. This may correct itself with repeated firing due to carbon sealing up the leaks. But check the above first.[/FONT]

got this from here http://www.varminthunters.com/ar15tech/freefloat/ar15freefloat.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont see how it can be anything BUT a gas issue, either a leak or something not lined up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats what Im thinking itchy. possibly i put a small gouge in the tube when taking it out. I doubt it, but you never know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've pulled the same tube several times and put'er back in with no probs.. I think you'd have to be a real Neanderthal to screw one up. I assume you took the bolt out of the upper? Did you take the bolt apart and clean it? Maybe you got the gaps in the gas rings lined up? Just a shot in the dark. How about how the gas tube lines up with the gas key on the top of the bolt? Sometimes if you don't get the barrel nut lined up "just right" the gas tube will be forced over to one side just enough to make the tube interfere with the key and cause it to drag on the tube. I would not be afraid to spray some brake cleaning fluid down the tube from the breach end and see if it runs out readily from the muzzle as well. Of course, as mentioned above, use quality ammo for your function tests. Sometimes cheap ammo will not be up to snuff and cause problems too. Happy shooting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts