AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today I got my tax return so I went and invested in an DPMS AR-15 Type Rifle. Well I would like to place some kind of optic on it, but I am on a bit of a budget say no more than $150 (cheaper the better, but I still want quality). So what do you guys recommend, here is a pic of what I have to work with.

Also I ordered a carry handle for it, but it really doesn't matter if I use it or not.

Thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like my BSA sweet .223 so far, you can get one of those for under 100 bucks on cheaperthandirt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you like the sweet 223??? I looked at that on SWFA, they have the 3-12x40 for 79.99 and you get a free bore sighter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it works great to date, I want to find somewhere to stretch its legs a little but around here my local range is only 100 yards, I have a membership form here waiting for me to send it in for a range that has a 500 yard range but I was probably going to wait till spring to mail that in, I not driving that far right now to test it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not a big fan of red dots, because of the low magnification, so I am looking for something that will support the rifles capabilities. That being said I am pretty much open to any suggestions. This is my first AR and I need all the help that I can get. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are really nice people to deal with, I bought a whole package of items to outfit my Weatherby 7mm from them. I had it in a very short time span and the prices are pretty good too. I highly recommend them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might try the Bushnell MP Trophy. It looks much like an Acog and has an illuminated T reticle. They are about $150 and have good reviews.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SWFA is a good company but could use some improvements.

I got my super sniper scope from there. I love that thing.

I placed another order for a simmons 22 mag scope just before xmas and it's still on backorder. I wouldn't mind so much but their site doesn't tell you if something is in stock or not but still lets you order. I should have ordered from midway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently got a 1.5-6x42 Barska huntmaster scope for varminting.

I was really wanting a lower powered scope because I was using a Bushnell Trophy 4 reticle dot (1x magnification) and is great for local calling, but for longer shots doesn't do so well (for me).

The optic is clear and bright, and has good illumination settings depending on the time of day you're using it.

Price of the scope from midwayusa was around $60, and the 1 piece leapers mount was around $20. For the price, it is a very well made set of glass. I'm pretty picky about the quality of the glass, but I was pleased with this purchase.

I admit being a fan of 1 piece scope mounts because if you ever remove the scope, there is minimal shift in zero once remounted if going on the same gun.

As for the poster who recommended the Bushnell MP Trophy, that is a 1x scope if I'm remembering correctly and you said you weren't really looking for a 1x, so that one isn't what you're looking for at all.

Here's a pic and link for the Barska scope and mount. (though it came black obviously)

scope
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=891426&t=11082005

Barska website
http://www.barska.com/Huntmaster_pro_r.htm

mount
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=155054&t=11082005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the gameseeker 2-5 I think it is. Haven't used it yet, but just eye F'ng the thing the glass is pretty clear. Also got a grand slam 1-3x, very nice as well for the price.

If you want to spend a little more look at the millet dms-1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so today I got my tax return so I went and invested in an DPMS AR-15 Type Rifle. Well I would like to place some kind of optic on it, but I am on a bit of a budget say no more than $150 (cheaper the better, but I still want quality). So what do you guys recommend, here is a pic of what I have to work with.

Also I ordered a carry handle for it, but it really doesn't matter if I use it or not.

Thanks for the help
I have a BEC 5x42 Illuminated with rings for sale. Send me an email [email protected] if you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of guys over on ARFCOM reccomend the Millet DMS-1. 1-4x magnification and it's fairly small compared to some scopes.

I use a FACOG from www.1337tactical.com

It's pretty much a carbon copy of an ACOG just without tritium illumination. Accurate, holds zero so far, seems to be pretty tough I've bounced it around a bit, and I like it and that's what counts the most I guess.

Here is a link to the DMS-1

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input thus far....Keep the suggestions coming. I should have my carry handle with A-2 sight, and the see-thru adapter mount sometime this week so I can at least go and shoot my AR. I am hoping to purchase some type of optic this week so that I can have the complete package (for now). I know that the possibilities are endless and I will more than likely continually change things around.

Again Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts