AR15 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys think my choices should be for a pistol AR style,. Don't care of Caliber... something like the Bushmaster or maybe the Kel Tech... but I hear weird things about the Kel Tech. I have a Kel Tech Pistol and it is absolutely perfect. boom boom every time , no issues??? Anything else I should consider? Can you build up a pistol like doing a standard AR????

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
They assemble the same, but you can't put a buttstock or forend grip on it. Doing so creates either a short barrel rifle or AOW (any other weapon) respectively.

There are a lot of choices out there for pistol uppers. Just about everyone makes one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking at picking up a Kel-Tec PLR-16 as a trunk/bag gun .. not finding a lot of issues with them from the research. more compact than an AR Pistol because of the piston configuration.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
the kel-tec plr16s are really cool they are piston so no buffer tube sticking out the back and they use ar mags, the bolt is the same also but the bolt carrier group is different.
i really want the kel-ttec but all my local sources cant get them and i dont want to buy off gun broker but i will if thats the only option.
i had a keltec su-16c and it worked GREAT. i sold it since i had the money to get an ar-15
but i think the kel-tec PLR-16is the best deal since its only about $500 and most ar-15 piston powered pistols are about twice that. and im not even going to talk about the regular ar-15 pistols with the buffer tube since those are just UGLY as hell

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
If you build an AR pistol make certain you use a receiver registered as a pistol or you'll be in legal trouble.

You can legally make a rifle out of a pistol (such as the mechtech conversion units) but you cannot legally make a pistol out of a rifle without first getting an approved SBR tax stamp.

Also, I'm not clear on what you're after or why? You say AR Pistol needed ASAP, but what's the rush? And if you don't care what caliber I can't think of why you're even looking for an AR style pistol to begin with.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking... and i bet it is loud.... I think I would like the Kel Tech... or something else very close... just not sure what that is??? Thanks, Buzz

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Great looking... and i bet it is loud.... I think I would like the Kel Tech... or something else very close... just not sure what that is??? Thanks, Buzz
The OA-93 is a standard AR lower in .223 Rem with a Olympic Arms designed upper. Nothing else out there has a similar design. The recoil spring is on top of the upper so it does not require any type of receiver extension to house the recoil spring. Very unique design. you can find the specs here.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
A short barreled AR pistol is just a big pistol. A 11.5" bbl pistol is almost an SBR and could serve the same function as one.

One of my AR15 carbines below and a registered long barrel AR pistol. It has been reconfigured a couple times since that photo. Primarly it has better optics and a different buffer tube now. It works quite well.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
A short barreled AR pistol is just a big pistol. A 11.5" bbl pistol is almost an SBR and could serve the same function as one.

One of my AR15 carbines below and a registered long barrel AR pistol. It has been reconfigured a couple times since that photo. Primarly it has better optics and a different buffer tube now. It works quite well.

ive always wished they could make that buffer go away. its too much like a stock i couldnt call that a pistol. and it has a sling.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
ive always wished they could make that buffer go away. its too much like a stock i couldnt call that a pistol. and it has a sling.
When one cannot possess a SBR in one's state, this is the closest one is likely to get.

Also, it is not a sling, tis' but a carrying strap.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
When one cannot possess a SBR in one's state, this is the closest one is likely to get.

Also, it is not a sling, tis' but a carrying strap.
ahh understood.

when ones state sucks that badly one should move...to the south! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
with the light recoil of the ar the buffer tube can be used just like a stock. but i wouldnt want to use it on a "heavy hitter" but for a pistol i wouldnt want the buffer tube. but for a tax free SBR the buffer tube is great

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I would think that with the extension tube on there that could readily accept a collapsable buttstock and the 11.5" barrel. It could go either way as a pistol or SBR if someone wanted to make a big deal out of it. Personally thats way to close to a SBR for my taste in that configuration.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I would think that with the extension tube on there that could readily accept a collapsable buttstock and the 11.5" barrel. It could go either way as a pistol or SBR if someone wanted to make a big deal out of it. Personally thats way to close to a SBR for my taste in that configuration.
Except that is has a sling swivel mounted to a hole that is drilled through the lower part that prevents a stock being slide on. Also, that stock has actually been replaced with one that had a permanently mounted post ban CAR stock on it. I cut the plastic CAR stock off which left permanent pins in it. No way I could get a stock on it even if I was tempted. Also, it is registered as pistol in Michigan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts