AR15 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to guns and am thinking about geting a AR-15 I was wondering what the little plunger type thing does on the side of the AR?
(sorry about the pic it was the best one I could find that showed it)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not an AR freak but here is what I think I know:

Hello Kitty Rocks.
Kommiefornia Sucks.

Oh yeah. Its called a forward assist. Its meant to force the bolt carrier forward if it got too dirty or if it couldn't for forward for what ever. It pushes a piston like thing into the bolt carrier. It contacts it where it has a lot of little slots cut into it and forces it forward a few mm at a time.

It works off the theory that "if it wont close beat it until it does".

It is a funny AR/M16/M4/etc thing, because basically they are saying "The design is inherently flawed so here is a band-aid."

I like the AR's though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a funny AR/M16/M4/etc thing, because basically they are saying "The design is inherently flawed so here is a band-aid."

I like the AR's though!
IMO I think due to the fact that the M-16/AR not having anything external directly connected to the bolt such as the charging handle on the AK, which cycles with the bolt, they needed to be something that could push the bolt forward. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the original M16 did not have the forwards assist, after field testing they learned that they needed this, and unless you aggressively chambered a round the bolt would not seat properly. i have an rock river new manufacture and unless i do a full charging motion , the round does not always seat.

make sure that when you clean the rifle that you push the forward assist and take a qtip or something to clean any dirt, carbon, or other grime that accumulates into there.

that tiny area is a Sergeant's fav hidey hole in order to bust someone with a dirty rifle failed inspection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other rifles like stated above have an external bolt handle of some kind I.E. Garands, AKs, ect, ect.

The AR uses a charge handle that "floats" when forward and is only useful for pulling the bolt to the rear. They put the forward assist on there to basically serve the same purpose as the bolt handle on other weapons when you need to give the bolt help getting home. It's not a band-aid.

You CAN get ARs that have a charging handle built into the bolt but it requires an upper with a cutout for the bolt handle to cycle though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the original M16 did not have the forwards assist, after field testing they learned that they needed this, and unless you aggressively chambered a round the bolt would not seat properly. i have an rock river new manufacture and unless i do a full charging motion , the round does not always seat.

make sure that when you clean the rifle that you push the forward assist and take a qtip or something to clean any dirt, carbon, or other grime that accumulates into there.

that tiny area is a Sergeant's fav hidey hole in order to bust someone with a dirty rifle failed inspection.
+1
and whats up with that handle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can have a pistol grip in california, but that means that your mag release will require a "tool" to operate. In otherwords, you are not allowed to have a pistol grip and a detachable magazine, but a bullet button is an option.

The grip that is on there circumvents the requirement of a fixed mag, since your thumb cannot wrap around the grip, so you are allowed a detachable 10 round magazine.

Either way, it is essentially neutering a great weapons platform.

Oh, and +1 on the Forward assist NOT being a band-aid. It is a great tool for when you are chambering a round and you need to be stealthy about it. Its a lot quieter to follow the bolt forward and then just press the FA until you are in full battery. Much quieter than a loud "CLANG!!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts