AR15 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in picking up a semi auto rifle, here are the basics
I am looking for atleast a .308 caliber, chromed 16" barrel, reliability, accuracy.
I have been looking at the colt's, rock rivers dpms, I've heard just a little about the cmmg, but know nothing about them. But have a really good friend who is very educated about guns, he says to save a couple more pennies and get a FAL, his favorite is the DS arms FAL.

Now I really don't know much about either, not shot one but almost everyone at the range has some type of AR, but have not seen any FAL.

what I do know is there is roughly a 700-800 difference between quality ARs and a FALs

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am interested in picking up a semi auto rifle, here are the basics
I am looking for atleast a .308 caliber, chromed 16" barrel, reliability, accuracy.
I have been looking at the colt's, rock rivers dpms, I've heard just a little about the cmmg, but know nothing about them. But have a really good friend who is very educated about guns, he says to save a couple more pennies and get a FAL, his favorite is the DS arms FAL.

Now I really don't know much about either, not shot one but almost everyone at the range has some type of AR, but have not seen any FAL.

what I do know is there is roughly a 700-800 difference between quality ARs and a FALs

thanks
well you can get a dsa FNFAL for price of bushmaster, DPMS i have seen for $989,

heres in an $849 imbel kit from atlantic Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale prices.

dsa at impact guns for $999 DSA STG-58 T1 FAL Rifle 308

$699 fn fal at centerfire doesnt say who made the reciever
FAL<br>.308 Rifle<br>Part #FAL-RIFLE - FAL-RIFLE

i am very close to buying a FNfal or building one (might as well build 2 or more if i buy some kits and have to buy a few misc tools), and PRAYING that come election time i have money for a LWRC piston .308, or that robinson arms comes out with their talked about xcr in .308 flavor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AR10 will be a fair bit heavier and more accurate (and expensive, especially magazines).

FAL will be lighter, cheaper (dirt cheap magazines), and less finicky (especially regarding ammo).

What are you going to use your rifle for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AR10 will be a fair bit heavier and more accurate (and expensive, especially magazines).

FAL will be lighter, cheaper (dirt cheap magazines), and less finicky (especially regarding ammo).

RRA and bushmaster use FN FAL mags for their .308 so you can expect to pay as cheap as $8-9 even less

RRA .308 accepts metric or inch FN FAL mags Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-8 Varmint A4

look in the picture by the stock, not in the text box below.

Bushmaster - Parts & Accessories
FN .308 Magazines
New 7.62mm (.308) FN FAL mags - all steel construction.

Specify:

.308 - 20 Rd. Mag...(MAT-004)
.308 - 10 Rd. Mag...(8448670-10-308)
.308 - 5 Rd. Mag...(8448670-5-308)
Steel FN Mag Loader&#8230; (MAT-001)
Price: $21.95 Part No: MAT-004 Quantity: Options .308 - 20 Rd. Mag: ($21.95) .308 - 10 Rd. Mag: ($33.95) .308 - 5 Rd. Mag: ($33.95) Steel FN Mag Loader: ($8.95)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got both and like both. It is really splitting hairs which one is better, but if I had to choose just one it would definately be the FAL.

Price wise, the AR-10 is a cheaper. Armalite AR-10's go for about $1300 and DSA FAL's go for about $1600. A Para FAL will go for about $1900. But mags for the AR-10 will run you about $30 each, while mags for the FAL will run you about $7 each.

The FAL is my favorite weapon. Nothing like a .308 that feels like butter. It has AK like reliablility but ergo's of an AR. See "Ole Dirty" on the FAL forums, he was thrown in muddy waters, soaked for half hour then taken out and shot, 14,500 rounds later and still yet to be cleaned, he is still going and going.

My AR-10 is configured in 16" barrel because I enjoy offhand shooting more than I do bench shooting. I do someday plan to get a 20" AR-10 in a SASS set up though. AR-10's are great in that they are exactly like an AR-15 except with more kick. Great ergos, and is probably the most accurate .308 Battle Gun right out of the box.

My FAL (bottom)

My AR-10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most likely paper punching, and possibly hunting deer, in washingto I think the smallest one can hunt with is .243 and I am looking for a good brush gun, i have a 300wsm for the long shots:D
I haver heard there are some reliabilty probs with bushmaster and olympic arms, (but bushmaster just got bought out) I have not heard much on RRA or CMMG. I think leaning towards the FAL may be wiser. thanks for your input

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had a DPMS and a STG58 really like the reliability of the FAL was built on a FAC Receiver never had a ounce of trouble the DPMS was real pick on ammo, ended up with a SA M1A Standard and is a real treat to shoot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both rifles will serve you well.

I've come full circle. Started with a 5.56 AR, then added the Stg58A FAL from DPMS. Simply an excellent rifle.

But I decided I wanted consistent functionality between rifles.

I got a DPMS LR-308, and had it rebarrelled by Fulton Armory. I really like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but If I were to pick up an AR-10 how likely is it to change calibers to spice up life? I see all these different uppers on-line different lengths and calibers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the DSA SA-58 and it is awesome "The 21st Century FAL" is better built than the FN versions. A mere whisper of a gun firing the mighty 7.62 NATO, it is the sexiest rifle I have ever seen, long, low, lean and ROARS like a lion. If you can get a new one for less than $2000 you will NEVER consider it a mistake. Keep it clean ( gadget wise ) so it doesn't start to look like every other AR, sling one on your back at the range while pistol shooting and you will get more gawkers than an Uzi or pretty much any other mildly exotic rifle. They have seemingly been built in the trillions ( for the armed forces of 90 countries on this planet ) but you still rarely see the "Right Arm Of The Free World" in person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts