AR15 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched this video about the AR10 which got me thinking
1. which came first the 10 or 15?
2. and why isnt the miltary using 10 if its so durable?
3. whats the difference? (besides barrel length and style?)

YouTube - ar10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AR10 = ( 308 ) two and 3/4 inches in length ( 7.62x51)
AR15 = ( .223 ) two and 1/4 inches in length (5.56)

They switched to the .223 ammo because pound for pound the grunt could carry almost three times more 223 ammo then he could with 308. They gave up the bigger cal so they could carry more fire power. ( rounds ) So the powers to be tried to brain wash us into thinking.
Also a lot less recoil.

The AR10 has a heavier and larger platform/ Mag-well is larger. Heavier spring and buffer. Very few parts are interchangeable. As far as i know the AR15 was made and more or less copied from Stoner's AR10.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what he said.

you carry more 5.56(not exactly .223 for the military, you can fire .223 from a 5.56 but not a 5.56 from a .223.)

the recoil doesnt knock you off target.

its a hot little round that will penetrate more body armor.

BUT i think its crap and is nothing more than a coyote round.
I was in the marines and i would much rather have a .308...but since your restricted with it the new alternatives they are coming out with are lookin sweet.

either way...for civilian use the 10 in my opinion is way better. no matter what your doing with it it can do everything the 15 can do and more. you cant really deer hunt with a .223. but then again its more expensive to shoot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my Armalite AR10 and using 168 gr home grown loads i am getting almost the same ballistics as you would with a 30-06.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the military the AR15 is also cheaper to produce than the 10.

The AR15 is obviously much lighter where all sizes of people can handle. Personally I would not want to "hump" the 10 on an all day mission but I have walked many miles with it slung.

I traded up from a 15 to the 10 because of the performance of the 7.62 round.

The recoil of the AR-10 is butter.

edit: The 15 can be had is shorter lengths and would be considered a entry weapon. Although Noveske makes a SBR upper for the 10 it is not available in short sizes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original AR was an AR-10 but it did not become mainstay because the smaller cartridge was decided on so therefore the AR-15 was adopted as an Infantry main issue weapon and designated the M16.

As for today, the Military is using AR-10's. They call them XM110's and SR25's. For a semi automatic sniper system (SASS), nothing is more accurate.

Eventually the M14 DMR will all be phased out with the M110.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original AR was an AR-10 but it did not become mainstay because the smaller cartridge was decided on so therefore the AR-15 was adopted as an Infantry main issue weapon and designated the M16.

As for today, the Military is using AR-10's. They call them XM110's and SR25's. For a semi automatic sniper system (SASS), nothing is more accurate.

Eventually the M14 DMR will all be phased out with the M110.
The AR-10 is a trademark for Armalite and is not a M110. The M110 is made by Knight's Armament Company (KAC, also Knight's Manufacturing Company). Also the Armalite AR-10 is built around the 7.62 x 51mm NATO round, not the .308.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That and the M110 SASS no longer bears the "X" designation as a prefix. It is currently fielded by the Army and not in an experimental status any more. The SR-25/M110 is similar in many ways to the AR10 but there are of course differences. Also the M110/SR-25 are chambered in 7.62mm, not .308.

I do enjoy shooting the "big boys", they are a lot of fun and I'd love to have a 7.62 rifle like the SR-25 or AR-10...they just ain't cheap :( Luckily I get paid to shoot them :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are all AR-10's, regardless who owns the trademark. They are all basically the same thing with different names. Today's AR-10 is not built around the 7.62x51, but a .308 168gr bullet.

Also the USA Army may not have a designation for the Armalite AR-10 but the Canadians do. One guy on the forum I belong to swears by them.

I know there are guys who say the SAAMI .308 and NATO 7.62x51 is not the same but for me the term is interchangeable. I have never had .308 ammo problems in any of my 7.62x51 chambers, and vice versa as I have never had 7.62x51 ammo problem in my .308 chambers. Performance wise they are the same. There is a sticky on the FALfiles forum were this very subject is debated. I like this post the best:

Edit to add: You are not the same uncle buck in the FAL forums are you? :)

By UncleBuck:
The point is that you get a different pressure number for .308 Winchester depending on which gauge you choose to measure it with. You get 52,000 PSI with the copper crusher gauge, which is known as copper units of pressure (cup) and you get 62,000 PSI for the same loading of the same .308 Win with the piezoelectric transducer gauge. The use of these two different gauges by the US military (copper crusher) and the commercial SAAMI specs (piezo) is responsible for the fictitious net rumor that .308 is loaded to much higher pressures (62,000) than 7.62 NATO (50,000). They are actually loaded to approximately the same pressures when you measure with the same gauge (50,000 vs 52,000 PSI). Die rumor, die!
UB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From DukeNukem:
Our moderator Morpheus went to Armalite and built all the sniper rifles for the Canadian Military. He used them in A-stan and Iraq since the beginning of the liberation until he retired a year or so ago. He swears by them. We have talked for many hours about the AR-10 until I switched over to this platform 1 1/2 years ago.
He liked them so well he built 2 of his own.
Canadian Military AR-10 pictures, and yes these are Armalite AR-10s!:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts