AR15 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is. I can get a SA Socom 16 used for $1300. Or I can pick up some sort of AR10 platform in the same range.

Which way would you go?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here it is. I can get a SA Socom 16 used for $1300. Or I can pick up some sort of AR10 platform in the same range.

Which way would you go?
I vote for the M1A. I do dig the AR-10, though. The sixteen inch barrel and significant lack of recoil/muzzle rise is why the SOCOM 16 would be my choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer the AR10 because its easier to mount optics too, is generally more accurate and is faster to reload.
Here are my two AR10's

16 inch carbine

20 inch GA Precision AR 10 Sniper set up.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another Vote here for the AR-10. All the way around, the AR-10 is just a better weapon.

M1A's is really an oudated beast.

- They are hard to scope, and once you do scope it, it will want to twist itself loose. Also you will need a cheek riser once you do scope it. With an AR-10 A4 you will have none of these issues.

- Can't really use ACOGs on the M1A because of the short eye relief of the ACOG. No problems with ACOGs on an AR-10's.

- The M1A is a fairly accurate weapon, but the stocks make it very inaccurate. You can bed the stock, and/or get a new McMillian, Sage, or Troy to make it more accurate, but it is going to cost you a lot.

- Parts are drying up. Bolts and Oprods for M1A's use to only go for $60, now they go for about $250 each if you can find them. Parts for the AR are easily attainable, and cheap.

- You basically can service the AR-10 yourself. You have to have a gunsmith change the barrel on an M1A, the AR-10 you can do yourself. New Bolt for M1A means you have to perfom proper lapping and headspacing. New Bolt for AR, you just slap in and go.

- AR-10's are much more modular. You can use standard AR triggers, buttstocks, backup sights, pistol grips, foregrips, etc.

I have heard AR-10's are finicky with ammo but I have found this not to be the case. My AR-10 has been flawless right out of the box taking any type of ammo without issues. AR-10s are also balls accurate right out of the box, with Federal Gold Medal Match I can get sub MOA. AR-10's are also have been known to have feeding and extraction issues, but this is a thing of the past with the new GenII mags.

Here is my AR-10 A4 in a CQB type set up.

This is going to be my next rifle, another AR-10, but this one in SASS type set up with 20" barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to go with a M1A, but opted for a AR10 platform... DPMS 308. The AR is cheaper new, the AR is a lego project just waiting to happen IE money pit, as Cartman said easier to add the scope to. Plus I am WAY more familar with the AR platform, AR #6 was purchased yesterday. That makes 2 223 rifles, a 20 and 16, 2 308s a 18 and 24, a 223 pistol and a 9mm rifle (yesterdays addition). Still want 1 parts gun on each caliber. Plus I have enough spare parts to almost build one 223 including receiver.

I posted this picture of my new 308 last week, but here it goes again to help sway you to the dark side

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another Vote here for the AR-10. All the way around, the AR-10 is just a better weapon.

M1A's is really an oudated beast.

- They are hard to scope, and once you do scope it, it will want to twist itself loose. Also you will need a cheek riser once you do scope it. With an AR-10 A4 you will have none of these issues.

- Can't really use ACOGs on the M1A because of the short eye relief of the ACOG. No problems with ACOGs on an AR-10's.

- The M1A is a fairly accurate weapon, but the stocks make it very inaccurate. You can bed the stock, and/or get a new McMillian, Sage, or Troy to make it more accurate, but it is going to cost you a lot.

- Parts are drying up. Bolts and Oprods for M1A's use to only go for $60, now they go for about $250 each if you can find them. Parts for the AR are easily attainable, and cheap.

- You basically can service the AR-10 yourself. You have to have a gunsmith change the barrel on an M1A, the AR-10 you can do yourself. New Bolt for M1A means you have to perfom proper lapping and headspacing. New Bolt for AR, you just slap in and go.

- AR-10's are much more modular. You can use standard AR triggers, buttstocks, backup sights, pistol grips, foregrips, etc.

I have heard AR-10's are finicky with ammo but I have found this not to be the case. My AR-10 has been flawless right out of the box taking any type of ammo without issues. AR-10s are also balls accurate right out of the box, with Federal Gold Medal Match I can get sub MOA. AR-10's are also have been known to have feeding and extraction issues, but this is a thing of the past with the new GenII mags.

Here is my AR-10 A4 in a CQB type set up.

This is going to be my next rifle, another AR-10, but this one in SASS type set up with 20" barrel.
Just a note the generation 2 mags corrected the feeding issues a lot but not the extraction issues. If you have an older AR10 you need to get the new extractor and ejector up grade kit from Armalite its free. My rifle has always been reliable but the carbine started good but after 2000 rounds or so it stopped extracting. I found the problem to be a ejector spring and extractor spring issue. I called Armalite and they sent me the improved parts and it has been running great since.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a DPMS LR308 and I love it. It is very accurate. I would choose one of the AR style 308 platforms over an M1A style any day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a RRA AR 15 M4 Tactical Entry, my buddy has the DPMS AR-10 AP4. He keeps tell me to switch over but I am just a little afraid. Ammo cost is more and the mags for it ain't cheap. He uses his also for deer hunting and shot himself a nice buck with it this last year. Hard choice but if I was to get one I would really like one with a 20 inch barrel. I have a Rem 700 .308 for deer hunting, but I thought if I get the 20 inch barrel version of the DPMS or Aramlite I could have the best of both worlds, and get rid of the M4 and Rem 700. Decisions, decisions ... hehe :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In three years i have not had a single FTF with my AR10A4. It has fired every type of ammo from Mil surp battle packs to plastic tipped hunting ammo. Have never tried soft point lead. It likes 164 to 175 grain ammo the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts