AR15 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around AR and M4s for almost 40 years. I've got a part that is puzzling to me

Take a look at the pics: The gas block in the front is the part in question.

I need to mount a bipod. But the ********* rail is on TOP of the gas block. Cant rotate the gas block because of the gas tube

So I guess I am left using a clamp on type of ********* rail (?), something I am not big on.

This bull barrel is a nail driver. I use a 35 grain that is 4000fps at the muzzle and drops 0" at 200yds and -5.3" at 300 yds. I have a great custom fire conrtol assembly, magpul long gun stock and I have fired about 100 rds so far thru it and it drops large pronghorns with no problems... But as most know, bull barrels are very heavy rifles. Which goes back to my bipod issue

Anyone recommend a bipod mount w/o any gunsmithing? I dont prefer a clamp on ********* rail, but if thats my only option..........
Trigger Air gun Wood Line Cylinder
f its my only option............. .

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Grey Shotgun

·
Registered
AR15, AR10(DPMS),
12 Posts
There are gas blocks that are quad rails. So there may be gas blocks with opposing rails, top and bottom. My bull Barrel is 0.936, which when mic’d out is 0.9371. So if your barrel is .936 you need to look for a gas block that is .936 with opposite rails. Or go with a low profile block and a longer forearm you can mount a bipod to using a rail or M-loc or key-loc systems.
We have so many options now it’s almost hard to decide which one to use. Good luck.
Jimbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are gas blocks that are quad rails. So there may be gas blocks with opposing rails, top and bottom. My bull Barrel is 0.936, which when mic’d out is 0.9371. So if your barrel is .936 you need to look for a gas block that is .936 with opposite rails. Or go with a low profile block and a longer forearm you can mount a bipod to using a rail or M-loc or key-loc systems.
We have so many options now it’s almost hard to decide which one to use. Good luck.
Jimbo.
Thanks Was thinking a dif gas block with up/down rails would need to be the answer. I have the same OD Bull Barrel as yours Can you recommend a vendor? Quick search I cant find one for our bull barrels

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right.. Did some more looking: Allot of sites that advertise dual or quad rail bull barrel gas blocks seem to have discontinued them. At least 5 checked out so far dont have them anymore. Its all in the word search I'm sure they are out there

·
Registered
AR15, AR10(DPMS),
12 Posts
Well I must concede I can not find them.
Next on the list is a low profile block and a free floating forearm. I’ve used Anderson’s they come with everything needed to install them.
Without changing the forearm your stuck with the clamp.

·
Registered
AR15, AR10(DPMS),
12 Posts
Jimbo61 here.
docmel if you can, the cheapest thing and the most accuracy saving to your nail driver would be to “find bottom dead center, on your FFF (free floating forearm) mark for your bipod mounting hardware, mount and use a clean low profile gas block.

I would place a wood spacer between barrel and FFF and mount up in a sturdy vice after field stripping and drill the FFF.

Disturbing a well running machine is always a risky business and putting a bipod on a barrel gas block does change the harmonics and the POI. And not always the same for every shot. The bull barrel does help eliminate these shifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim. Again, thanks for your input. I was a little leary of replacing my current gas block for the same exact reason you mentioned. Its not rocker scince to change, but this thing really sings as it is: Using 33 or 36r gn ammo, the trajectory is VERY flat and muzzle velocities are right around 4000fps. I'm glad I bought that ammo in bulk a couple of years ago as a 33 grain box count of 20 is right around 45-50 bucks now. I had not considered mounting a rail on my free float forearm. Tha'ts the way Ill go. Ive got the rail and hardware right here in my parts box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts