·
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, your thoughts on this caliber for the AR 15 in regards to:

1.) It's use in Personal Defense.

2.) It's use as a hunting round.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
what ive read says its pretty good round. but ive heard they break a bunch of bolt carriers in the dessert.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking through the Stag catalog and they said 6.8 offers 80% of the stopping power of .308 with 50% less of the recoil and all of the accuracy. I'm thinking about getting a 6.8 SPC upper.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I'm floating back-and-forth between 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel for my next AR. I have a standard 5.56/.223 AR (16") and a .308 bolt gun (24"), so a midrange round in a midrange gun (18-20") is very appealing to me.

From what I gather, 6.8SPC gives a great middle ground between the two NATO rounds (5.56 and 7.62), but the 6.5 Grendel seems like it fills the same void, while grossly intruding into the 7.62's turf.

On deer-sized game at medium ranges, either would be a good choice. The fact that Wolf is loading some cheap (brass) ammo for the 6.5 Grendel may just put me over the edge that way.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
The merits of the round not withstanding, availability and cost of ammo is still an issue from what I understand.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I've gotten into reloading, so I'm toying with the idea of a 6.8 upper. I've got a RRA 5.56mm upper, and its accurate, but with all these other calibers with superior terminal balistics available, I wouldnt want to use it for anything other than punching paper, especially since I'm gonna try to go deer hunting sooner or later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts