AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a 6.8 SPC upper? Did it match or fit in with your lower AR 15 223/5.56? Did you have to buy new magz for that size caliber? Like to use it for hunting Deer or Caribou... any thoughts on this?:?:

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Reno,

I don't have a 6.8 upper but I've been looking at them. Yes, it will fit an AR .223/5.56 lower. However, you will need new mags.

The ballistics are better than the .223. I might hunt deer with a 6.8 but I'm not sure about a caribou. I've never hunted for them but they seem to be a bigger animal that would require a larger cartridge. As with any cartridge, shot placement is everything.

Good luck and let us know when you pic one up.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody have a 6.8 SPC upper? Did it match or fit in with your lower AR 15 223/5.56? Did you have to buy new magz for that size caliber? Like to use it for hunting Deer or Caribou... any thoughts on this?:?:
I bought a Stag 5.56 Lower (no different than the Stag 6.8 lower except the letters stamped on it and the price). I put a Stag 6.8 16" upper with it. The 6.8 SPC DOES requires different magazines than the 5.56/.223, but everything else is pretty much the same.

The link to ko-tonics website or 6.8Forums.com would provide you with a wealth of information on an AR in that caliber. If you're just planning on hunting with it or are going to be reloading your own ammo it's a GREAT choice. It doesn't have much more recoil than a 5.56 has a little better knock-down than some smaller calibers. Personally I'd use a larger caliber for what you're talking about hunting, but it's probably already been done with a 6.8. I'll use mine for deer, pig and coyote.

Don't want to start a 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel war, so the links above will give you some places to start.

My 6.8 SPC AR is a GREAT shootin' little rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
i would look into the 6.5 grendel it has MUCH better ballistics at long range. the 6.8 starts to drop really really fast after 300 yards or so (not sure on the exact number)

also wolf makes 6.5 grendel ammo with reloadable brass cases

the 6.5 grendel uses high BC bullets so at the longer ranges it will out perform 6.8spc,5.56, 7.62x39,
and it is flatter shooting then the 308

im sorry i dont have any links but ill look to see what i can find

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I stumbled onto the 6.8 being a dealer for CProducts. I don't have an upper yet, but the more I read on it the more I want one. Seems like it would make an excellent deer gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Changing calibers does not violate any laws. People do it everyday.

I aksed my FFL about swapping uppers and was told as long as the lower is marked as caliber "Multi" than the caliber upper doesn't matter and you can swap all you want. If you lower is marked 5.56/.223 than you legally should stay with that caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I really don't want to break in and get everything off of thread, but I did want to put this information out there so that you know what you're getting into. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read this thread if you are all hell bent on the .260, 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, etc. I am not saying that these are bad calibers, especially if you want it in an AR-15 platform and don't want to buy a complete new AR-10 rifle, etc. Just realize that there is ALOT of hype about what the 6.8 and the 6.5 Grendel do. Look at the ballistics and weigh out the facts, and decide if the caliber fits your budget, purposes, etc and if there are other calibers that will do the same job cheaper or just as well and are more conventional. There is talk on both pages. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/60568-6-8-upper-recommendations.html

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Me too... not sure about the 6.5 Grendel?? Haven't heard or read to much about it.
well my guess is that you have been searching for the 6.8 and not for all alternative ar calibers.
do some reading on it.

i will bet that after you read about it you will change your mind about the 6.8. i dont see ANY benefit of using the 6.8 instead of the 6.5 grendel except maybe mag capacity
and it will be especially true if you shoot past 300 yards. the 6.5 was designed to be a long range cartridge and the 6.8 was designed to provide better ballistics then the 5.56 at regular combat ranges

so if you plan on shooting long distance going with the 6.8 would be a terrible choice IMO but if you are shooting under 200 yards then the 6.8 would work great for that since thats the distance it was made for. now im not saying the 6.8 cant shoot past 300 yards all im saying is that it doesnt perform as well as cartridges that were designed for long range

go to google and type in "6.8 spc vs. 6.5 grendel" and read all that you can on BOTH and make your own choice on which one will better suit your needs

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I aksed my FFL about swapping uppers and was told as long as the lower is marked as caliber "Multi" than the caliber upper doesn't matter and you can swap all you want. If you lower is marked 5.56/.223 than you legally should stay with that caliber.
Your FFL:

a) is full of it.
b) doesn't know what in the world he's talking about.
c) both a and b.

It's one of those 3.

You can legally put any caliber upper on an AR-15 lower that will fit and fire correctly, regardless of what caliber the lower is marked for.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
6.8 will shoot well out to 500m, and don't let anyone BS you on that one. I use it on a silhouette range with no accuracy problems, and mild recoil.I have read one article from 3 years ago, where a guy used 6.8 on a caribou hunt, and claimed that it perfomed very well on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
From my understanding it's accuracy isn't the issue with the 6.8 at longer ranges, but the fact that it delivers less kinetic energy than the 6.5, which was made to slice through the air much better.

It really depends on what you're shooting at, both will kill paper at long ranges, but the 6.5 will do better against the Taliban at the same range.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
but i was wrong about my 300 yard comment but i did say i forgot the exact number
i was wrong though and i am sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts