AR15 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, with a vote coming up in the near future, do you think the assault rifle ban will come back? In other words, how long to save up for the AR and Magazines that I want

Any comments would be appretiated
Da Funk

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I'm starting to really consider getting a stripped receiver before the opportunity is gone. Even if it comes up it will take a while to go through and even longer to go in effect. But you can bet the second it looks like there is a chance prices are going to go crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, kinda what I figured. Im gonna have to hurry up if I want in on the No Ban fun. Looking at a basic AR from DPMS, the low price has me thinking. Is there any reason not to get this gun?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Boeydafunk said:
Thanks, kinda what I figured. Im gonna have to hurry up if I want in on the No Ban fun. Looking at a basic AR from DPMS, the low price has me thinking. Is there any reason not to get this gun?
Don't buy a complete gun. You end up paying way, way more than you should. Buy a lower, stripped or not, and buy an upper. You come out much cheaper in the end.

I'm personally gonna get a couple stripped lowers (have plans for them) and stock up on the mags. They're dirt cheap right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I too have been pondering this same issue. Should I get an AR in case the ban comes back around? I have no experience with AR's at all. Never fired one, never even held one. But I've always wanted one. I would have no clue what steps to take in starting to purchase a lower, uppper, etc and put it all together. One thing that has kept me from buying now that I've really wanted one more recently, is the dang price. if it's really cheaper to build one, maybe I should look into doing that. Now I guess it just comes down to researching how exactly to do that, and what to buy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
mr0w1 said:
Boeydafunk said:
Don't buy a complete gun. You end up paying way, way more than you should. Buy a lower, stripped or not, and buy an upper. You come out much cheaper in the end.

I'm personally gonna get a couple stripped lowers (have plans for them) and stock up on the mags. They're dirt cheap right now.
Right, they generally tag on an extra 100 for just putting the two halves together. It isn't that much cheaper to buy a complete lower than a stripped lower + parts kit right now especially if you order both from different sources, but buying a complete gun vs an upper and lower seperate. The full rifles have some frills with them like plastic case and maybe a couple mags, plus some have warranty's on them also, which explains the higher cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely think a ban is forthcoming. Even more concerning is whether it will be even more intrusive than the last one. I built 1 AR and will at least buy a lower receiver, probably 2, before the next presidential election.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
If you already have 1 buy a complete spare parts kit or maybe 2, lots of 30 rnd mags get them while their cheap an extra bolt carrier , bolt, extractor springs ect. The best part about a AR 15 is its modular construction get Mil spec parts and there's no fitting involved in replacement parts. I would recomend buying a factory rifle first before doing a build, Learn proper maintenance ect and how things work before trying to build your own. Get a build manual and follow the instructions. These are really simple weapons with few moving parts and only a couple of critical steps in a build. If you are going to build your own use only quality parts from known manufacturers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't register guns, so even if I have something that is outright banned, they won't know about it. I'm just waiting for a big ban that doesn't even allow grandfathering in of weapons. What a horrible day that will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts