AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I had myself convinced I was going to go economy (SPOT, Bushnell MP, etc):rolleyes:

I stopped at Cabelas the other day on the way home from work and made the mistake of looking through a 511 and a 512. My God I am in love. Gotta have it. Well the price is $359 for the 511 and $379 for the 512 (which is comparable to any new on the net). So I have a coupon for $70 off a $300-$400 purchase and $100 worth of points on my Cabelas Visa. So I can get the 511 for $189 or the 512 for $209 (+tax) after I am done.

Question, is the only difference the size and the 512 taking AA batteries (which I like)?? Is it worth the extra $20 to avoid the N batteries? Are N batteries expensive and how long do they last?? Any other differences or things to worry about??

What about warranty?

I have until Dec 24th to agonize about this (then the coupon expires).

Gimme your thoughts!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would personally go with the AA batteries and buy some of the recargabe ones for digital cameras and they will last a long time. when i use good rechargeable vs good regular batteries in my digital the rechargeable ones last about 2-3 times longer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think cost is the biggest issue i would say its just being able to get AA batteries any where at anytime of the day. whereas the other ones "might" be harder to get im not sure though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the 512. Longer life.

And the reason you see Eotech's all about the same price (new) is Eotech has minimum advertised pricing policies. They can revoke a dealer's priveleges for advertising/selling for less than their MAP.

Streamlight and others are the same way too. In my opinion, it's a very bad policy to have. And the only thing I don't like about L3.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which every you get don't use NiCad or NiMh in you sight. It won't hurt it but those types of rechargable batteries are meant for hi discharge uses and have a short shelf life. They will be dead in 3-4 weeks whether you use them or not. Both of those batteries naturally discharge themselves on the shelf loaded or not. Alkaline will probably last longer. If you really want it to last a long time get some of the non- rechargable Lithium based batteries.

rambling
mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have 3 512's and I love them. And if you are wondering about customer service they are great. One of mine was bought used and was 2 years old. The sight had to be on full brightness to see it very good. I called L3 told them how old it was and what was wrong. They said send it to us. I did and got it back in less than a week. No charge and also upgraded to the new battery latch that is curled up at the end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two of the 511's and prefer the shorter N battery models because of the shorter length

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like only one vote for the 511 and an overwhelming majority for the 512! That is what I was thinking too but due to my neverending quest to spend as little as possible, I was hoping there were compelling reasons to buy the 511.

I'll have it in a week or so if all goes well and post some pics with it sitting on top of my Stag:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 512 and I like it. The short, stubby look is cool I think. ;)

When I bought my Millett DMS-1, my EOTech got displaced from its home on my 16" AR... So now I'm building a whole other AR (11.5"), just for the EOTech! Now THAT is EOTech snobbery at its finest. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, the smaller 511 looks really nice on most AR's and subs, but the 512 will be alot easier to maintain batterywise - plus it can use Lithiums, too! :)

Brian - If cost is a factor tho, don't forget that Bushnell markets the EXACT same models as the EO's (use same reticle & internals, as well as some other neat model designs) but without the metal 'hood' for a significant price drop. The hood can also be purchased separately later on for about $25-$50, if you so desire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have until Dec 24th to agonize about this (then the coupon expires).

Gimme your thoughts![/quote]\

Where did you get the coupon im gettin an eotech for xmas and i would like to save some of the green stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, the smaller 511 looks really nice on most AR's and subs, but the 512 will be alot easier to maintain batterywise - plus it can use Lithiums, too! :)

Brian - If cost is a factor tho, don't forget that Bushnell markets the EXACT same models as the EO's (use same reticle & internals, as well as some other neat model designs) but without the metal 'hood' for a significant price drop. The hood can also be purchased separately later on for about $25-$50, if you so desire.
More details on this please!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts