AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quick question that some of you may know the answer to...

LMT makes a back up sight...

and I know that Leapers UTG also makes one that looks like that. Is there any other manufacturers that make those styles of back ups? I saw the Centurion ones but I wanted to see if there are others out there.

LMT, I know makes quality products and you can't go wrong with it, but the price difference between the UTG and the LMT sight is about $100 ...

Does anyone have any experience with these two sights? Are they that far off on quality that UTG just missed the boat on this and should just stop with production?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I'd go with the LT if I wanted a fixed rear sight...it's simple and bulletproof and from good people. Order it from them and you'll probably get a ballcap, Dillo, and Dillo Dust, and some other stuff as well :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Does the Larue have elevation adjustment? A2 sites are nice in that they are easily adjustable.

For fixed sites you really can't beat A2 style, but I prefer the looks and the design of the HK style.

Fix sites and cowitness is nice in that you don't have to fold anything up when your batteries run out, but for me I like my iron sites down. I'll take my chances with the batteries running out and having to spend that extra 1 second flipping the sites up.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Does the Larue have elevation adjustment? A2 sites are nice in that they are easily adjustable.

For fixed sites you really can't beat A2 style, but I prefer the looks and the design of the HK style.

Fix sites and cowitness is nice in that you don't have to fold anything up when your batteries run out, but for me I like my iron sites down. I'll take my chances with the batteries running out and having to spend that extra 1 second flipping the sites up.
right right.. i agree, but with this project im currently building, i'm thinking of having a full time co witness with my red dot...

i already have a set of flip up/down iron sights, so i want to do something different.

i haven't really tried or seen through those styles (HK style) but i do agree they look bad (_!_)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If the HK style sights co-witness; why not get them and write a review. I don't know anyone using HK style sights on their AR. I'm with Eric on the A2 sight adjustability and they are the standard. I've shot several H&K weapons the sights are fine and would look taticool.

With my EoTech pretty much what you see is what you get. I normally align the holographic up with the front sight and it's spot on. I like the option of the flip up rear sight for longer range shooting. Anything under 200 yards I don't use them just the Holo w/ front sight. Awesome for rabbit hunting its almost unfair.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Buy a carry handle and chop it down...It will be the same as a LMT, minus one brace down the back of the sight which won't matter unless you try to chop a tree down with the sight.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
DPMS makes one that attaches via 2 screws to the rail, though it takes up 2 slots and space on a flattop is scarce.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
LMT, I know makes quality products and you can't go wrong with it, but the price difference between the UTG and the LMT sight is about $100 ...

Does anyone have any experience with these two sights? Are they that far off on quality that UTG just missed the boat on this and should just stop with production?
LMT uses the MilSpec parts. The rear sight elevation knob, rear sight elevation index & index screw are what you'd find in a standard A2 rear sight.

UTG uses a roll pin to hold the rear sight elevation knob and rear sight elevation index.

This many not seem like a big deal and it's not, if you don't ever need to fix or replace parts. Also, if you are creating a zero below the lowest setting, it will be a pain in the ass to punch out the pin.

I bought the UTG one, it's decent. I decided I like it and replaced it with a real LMT. The UTG one went onto an Airsoft rifle that I have for the kids. I purchase clones of things if i'm not sure if I'll like it or not. I have a clone AimPoint Comp. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I do, now it's time to move it to the airsoft gun and purchase a real one. Spending $35.00 on a clone and finding out I don't like it is easier than spending $400.00 on the real thing and finding out I don't like it.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
thanks hardwarz! i think i'm pretty much sold on which one to buy (considering the feedback i've gotten so far)... i knew one can't go wrong with buying LMT, but i figured there was someone out there who might have been through what i was going through and would of said something. glad you did!

now i guess we can properly "/tag" this thread! HA!

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
LMT uses the MilSpec parts. The rear sight elevation knob, rear sight elevation index & index screw are what you'd find in a standard A2 rear sight.

UTG uses a roll pin to hold the rear sight elevation knob and rear sight elevation index.

This many not seem like a big deal and it's not, if you don't ever need to fix or replace parts. Also, if you are creating a zero below the lowest setting, it will be a pain in the ass to punch out the pin.

I bought the UTG one, it's decent. I decided I like it and replaced it with a real LMT. The UTG one went onto an Airsoft rifle that I have for the kids. I purchase clones of things if i'm not sure if I'll like it or not. I have a clone AimPoint Comp. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I do, now it's time to move it to the airsoft gun and purchase a real one. Spending $35.00 on a clone and finding out I don't like it is easier than spending $400.00 on the real thing and finding out I don't like it.

Hardwarz
i never have a problem with buying high dollar stuff (sight unseen) as long as i know im getting a good deal on it.

pick up a used aimpoint for 350.

try it out.

if you dont like it, the price for used aimpoints is STILL 350. you get all of your money back.

buy a piece of crap knockoff aimpoint for 100....

try it out.

Dont like it? sorry, no market for used crap...lucky to get 50 bucks out of it....and you just lost half of your money.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
i never have a problem with buying high dollar stuff (sight unseen) as long as i know im getting a good deal on it.

pick up a used aimpoint for 350.

try it out.

if you dont like it, the price for used aimpoints is STILL 350. you get all of your money back.

buy a piece of crap knockoff aimpoint for 100....

try it out.

Dont like it? sorry, no market for used crap...lucky to get 50 bucks out of it....and you just lost half of your money.
I agree, but sometimes there are those knock off items that are worth buying! Like the RDP II (mini red dot), I would've bought the Trijicon or Doctors to put on my ACOG but after being introduced to the RDP II and doing some research and reading up on what people have said about it. It seemed like this is one of those items that's worth buying. So I did and I don't regret it! But for something like An Aimpoint or EOtech (where in my opinion is substantially more as far as a product and functionality in comparison to a mini red dot) I would never go cheap on that!

but yes, I agree with the saying "you get what you pay for". kinda like ikea furniture, looks cool but it's crap... although they have a couple things thats cheap that's worth buying!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I paid $60 for my clonepoint with the mount. Had it for about 3 years now and it is still going strong. Even after I bought a real Aimpoint, I still kept the clone, just put it on a different a AR. Then when I sold that AR, I moved my clone over to tactical ruger 10/22.

No doubt the Aimpoint is a much better quality product than the clone, but it is not $400 better. For that extra $400 you are paying for ruggedness, waterproof and reliabilty. Which is worth it if you plan to go to war, but if you just need something to plink with, then the $50 clone will do just as good as a job as the $400 Aimpoint.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts