AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to swap out my barrel.

What tools and what parts do I need?
First time tring this, any advices would help.

I have a 16" barrel now and want to stay with that. A/2 front sight and flat top receiver.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here you go

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!

1. A quality upper receiver action block.

2. A quality armorer’s wrench.

3. A small punch to knock out the gas tube roll pin.

4. A set of snap ring pliers.

5. Molybdenum-Disulfide grease (per the TM) This is for the upper receiver threads. This is found at any auto parts store or hardware store for cheap. At the auto parts store - just buy generic WHEEL BEARING grease.

6. A vise. Pretty much any size will do, but must be firmly mounted to a bench of some sort.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is one of the few times i will recommend DPMS anything.....

BUT, the DPMS panther claw upper receiver block, and the DPMS armorers wrench are the BEST ON THE MARKET by a longshot.

the clamshell type upper blocks will mar the finish of your upper, so stay away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice.
The video of the lower build was an added plus.

Thank you, Thank you.
P.S. my wife is unhappy.......Ar-15 building look easier than I though. Now I have to do at least one.....right the BRD will live on in me.....hahaha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is one of the few times i will recommend DPMS anything.....

BUT, the DPMS panther claw upper receiver block, and the DPMS armorers wrench are the BEST ON THE MARKET by a longshot.

the clamshell type upper blocks will mar the finish of your upper, so stay away.
Can I torque on the claw like I could on the clamshell?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what barrel are you going to?

what ya gonna do with the old one?
I'm not sure, I may not even swap out the barrels just doing research now. I might just start from scratch, build the lower. Get some more money, build the upper. get some more money. shoot!!!

I like the Idea of the Bull barrel and making a tack driver.
I may just make a new upper and then swap from upper to upper on one lower? an suggestion?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I torque on the claw like I could on the clamshell?
in short, yes. i would not however exceed the recommended torque values specified in the .mil m-16 armorers manual, no matter what receiver block you are using.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a clamshell and it works fine, added piece of mind for me I guess. It really is an easy task.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a DPMS receiver block and a clamshell. They both work well.

This is my choice for barrels.
White Oak Armament POB 74 Carlock, IL 61725 *****(309) 376-2288 ***********************

White Oak Armament is one of the best Barrel makers on the planet. They are run by John Holliger, one of the AR15 gunsmith pioneers. His work is in use by many competitive shooters.
Nice looking barrels and good prices. Can I use my delta ring and what I already have on those barrels? It said somthing about floated forearm?
What is the difference between pre and post ban barrel? Just the bayonet lug?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice looking barrels and good prices. Can I use my delta ring and what I already have on those barrels? It said somthing about floated forearm?
What is the difference between pre and post ban barrel? Just the bayonet lug?
These barrels can be used with the original hand guards but the mid-length gas barrels require a special gas tube. Preban means no threads on the muzzle. Depending on which barrel you choose will decide whether you can keep your old handguards. I would buy a new gas tube no matter what if you get a new barrel. Gas tubes are cheap and they can mean the difference between a functioning gun or a single shot rifle. please feel free to ask more questions, I have built several rifles using these barrels.

My 16in gun

My 18in SPR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts