AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a houge free float tube that is round with no holes or rails on it
like this except mine is black

well i really want a bipod that attaches to the free float, i know i should have gotten one that could do it to begin with but mine or only $65 installed so it was hard to pass up and it even came with the hogue grip that i was going to buy any ways so $45 for a free float installed is a great deal. I also dont like the feel of the railed ones and i would only use it to put a bi-pod on it .

so my question is what is the best way to attach one to it? i am really good with working on things so most things shouldnt be out of my ability, the only issue could be me not having the proper tools, in that case i could either use somebodys tools or take it to my gunsmith.
any ideas are welcome and thank you!

oh i want to use a harris bi-pod if that helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mine has a small hole for a screw in sling adapter and my harris bipod connects to it. yoiu might have to have your free float tube drilled and tapped for one. hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check Brownells or Midway to see if they might have a rail you can buy. I have a JP Rifles round free float tube but it comes with slots to install the rails. The rails come in different lengths and have holes in them to use screws to hold them to the tube. You could then drill and tap your FF to match the screw size and pitch. If you have an ACE hardware close by they almost always have individual bits and taps you can buy. Otherwise you could JB weld a rail to it but that would be permanent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harder, but not impossible. make sure to center punch first so the bit doesnt walk. if you dont understand those words, have someone else do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have your gunsmith do it. It's easy if you have the right tools but it is not easy if you don't have the tools or the skills.
:idea::idea::idea:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
harder, but not impossible. make sure to center punch first so the bit doesnt walk. if you dont understand those words, have someone else do it.
lol
ive done lots of metal work but for some reason i have no drill press
i have the skills needed i believe
my only worries are about ataching the stud
the forehand studs come with a nut, well bothe the stud and the nut are flat on the surface that will be touching the free float and i am worried about how well its going to stay put

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the Hogue to be made of pretty thin aluminum. Also found that a "standard" barrel nut wrench won't work on the Hogue. This was several years ago, so they might have changed the design by now.

I'm using a DPMS free float tube that I installed on my Bushy. I attached the stud by simply drilling a hole in the right place and using, I believe, a Harris #5 adapter. At any rate, got bored pretty quickly with the cumbersomeness of a bipod and have the bipod stored away in a drawer, probably never to be used again. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the Hogue to be made of pretty thin aluminum. Also found that a "standard" barrel nut wrench won't work on the Hogue. This was several years ago, so they might have changed the design by now.

I'm using a DPMS free float tube that I installed on my Bushy. I attached the stud by simply drilling a hole in the right place and using, I believe, a Harris #5 adapter. At any rate, got bored pretty quickly with the cumbersomeness of a bipod and have the bipod stored away in a drawer, probably never to be used again. :lol:
just out of curiosity why would i need a barrel nut wrench? i dont need to remove the base of the free float i can just thread off the end that i am going to install the bi-pod on

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a swivel stud online and some rubber washers with a locknut from Home Depot.

I used a drill to make the hole.

Really the most difficult part is making sure the hole is centered but if you have a swivel stud you can adjust for a slightly off center hit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I say do it yourself. People who are always scared of breaking things will never learn how to do anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I say do it yourself. People who are always scared of breaking things will never learn how to do anything.
yea this is what i was thinking. if i do screw it up (which i dont think i will, i dont want to sound cocky but i think this is well within my means and abilities) so if i screw it up im sure it can be easily fixed/ done right by a gunsmith for probably the same price they would have charged me in the first place.

now as far as studs go, are they all pretty much the same? ive never bought any they allways came on my guns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed my own free float tube. I needed a barrel nut wrench, in order to properly torque the tube. A "standard" barrel nut wrench works fine wth a torque wrench on the DPMS and most other two-piece tubes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up an uncle mikes swivel kit #1001-2 at cabelas for 10 bucks , it has 2 diffrent studs in there, one thats made for wood adn one with machine threads on there with a nut for the back side, I just used the one with the nut for the back side and ground the extra part of the bolt off. I have a quad rail but same idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just ordered Harris bipod HBRMS-96.26 and HB-4 from Harris Bipod for the same setup. The HB-4 clamps around the barrel so you don't have to drill the free float tube. Total cost+shipping was $132.01.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered Harris bipod HBRMS-96.26 and HB-4 from Harris Bipod for the same setup. The HB-4 clamps around the barrel so you don't have to drill the free float tube. Total cost+shipping was $132.01.
If you are clamping to the barrel, aren't you defeating the purpose of a free floated barrel? Your choice obviously, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts