AR15 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at bipods but I am slightly confused by all the options.

I currently have a 16" carbine AR with a 10" FF.

I am now building a 20-24" long range AR that will have a FF tube.

Does it make sense to try and share a bipod on each AR or should I get a dedicated one for each?

I know there are swivel ones, non swivel ones, benrest ones.

So what would I want if I was going to share or if I wanted dedicated ones? I would want some kind of quick detach on the carbine for when I shoot 3 gun and need to take it off.

I will be primarily shooting at my range from concrete benches but I would like the option of going prone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well do the FF Tubes have 1913 rails or swivel studs? If they have the studs you won't need an adapter, 1913 will. Plenty of options on the adapter, YHM, ARMS, LaRue ect.. I'd say that in general a 6-9" swivel Harris BP with a PodLoc added would suite the need. another option is the GripPod..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am fixing to purchase a grip pod, they seem to be reliable sturdy and can be easily taken off and put back on without an issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A dedicated one for each could be a bit pricey if you go with Harris. I've got the Harris swivel, but I see the need for the podlok with it. Their is a thread on AFCOM on how to make one fairly cheap. I share my Bi-pod between my carbine and long range upper. On the carbine I have a LaRue QD stud, and the LR upper FF tube has a stud.

I decided to go with the 9-13" model figuring if I went with the shorter model it would likely be fully extended most of the time anyway; so flexibility won the length debate for me, YMMV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one from Walmart (RockMount) that looked and performed just like a Harris for half the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about the Rock-mount. I had one of those, and it was about as good as my Harris. The Rock-mount just didn't have the swivel which I wanted. But for the price it's hard to say the Rock-mount is not up to par with Harris, and you could certainly get a dedicated bi-pod for each without breaking the bank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a non-pivoting Rock Mount on my AR this afternoon. Easy install and seems sturdy enough.
:cool::cool::cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts