Bolt Carrier | AR15 Forums

Bolt Carrier

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by tagheuer, Aug 21, 2014.

1. tagheuer

tagheuer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. missilegeek

missilegeek Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Casimirblue

Casimirblue Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LMT, Daniel Defense.

Something cheap but good, PSA.

Something wang dangy that I like, RCA, Nitride Coated. I have one. I still run it slicked up.

4. Hobo Hilton

Hobo Hilton Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Colt sets the benchmark............ What is your mission?

Hobo

5. firebert

firebert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BCM & Daniel Defense is trusted.

It seems like the NiB stuff is the fad right now.

6. Dredsen

Dredsen Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bcm > colt

I own the fail zero and a USGI phosphate coated.

The GI bolt carrier has never failed.

The fail zero would not go into battery. The next one om the shelf worked but I don't like the way the lugs look.

I have a bcm bolt in the grip of that gun in case.

7. tonyben

tonyben Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like BCM, just because of their QC. I have one of their BCG's and one complete upper on the way with a free BCG. Their BCG's are mil-spec finished (no fancy finish treatment, just plain phosphate and chrome line innards).

Right now, all 16" uppers in stock ship with a free BCM BCG.

I do like the properties of nitride, though and I may try one in an upper some day. Right now, it's just not on the priority list.

Tony.

8. Casimirblue

Casimirblue Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I forgot BCM, Thumbs Up..

9. ArmyCPT

ArmyCPT Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Surely you're not serious. And no, I'm not calling you Shirley. :)

10. Hamstrosity

Hamstrosity Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a nickel boron BCG that I got from PSA that's been on my suppressed M4gery for the last 500 rounds. It's black instead of silver now (from carbon 'n what not), but it keeps on trucking. I'm thinking about running it until it does jam, just to see how many rounds it takes to cause an issue before cleaning it..

It was $99 on special from PSA.

I have Colt BCGs, DPMS BCGs, and a Young's Manufacturing BCG. I haven't had a problem with any of them.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is inaccurate. Right now ALL BCM uppers ship with a free BCM BCG, period, regardless of length or configuration.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NiB is pretty cool tech. Definitely want one.

13. pitbulz21

pitbulz21 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a psa and a bcm and can't tell a diffrence but bcm is way better to deal with! Psa will make you wait!

14. Konstanty

Konstanty Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll second all the votes for BCM. I put a BCM BCG in my Bushmaster about five years ago, and couldn't be happier.

15. village16

village16 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a couple of years ago, James Yeager on his YouTube Channel tested a Fail Zero bolt with no problems. I personally have never used one except for an LWRC upper I used to have and I have no complaints. I think I did a rapid fire test once on it with no problems.

I am hoping sometime this week I will test my new AR pistol build with a Daniel Defense BCG in it to check functionality of the build.

16. cockednlocked

cockednlocked Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used a AIM Surplus NiB M-16 BCG in my Blackout build, $129. I can't tell the difference between it and the Spike's Tactical BCG that it matches. It's coated inside and out, as is the bolt and firing pin and gas key. It wipes clean with a damp cloth, and I run it in my rifle with hardly any lube beyond a light oil coat from cleaning it.

17. angelonm

angelonm Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have 4 colt BCG , a PSA, even a RedXArms. All phosphate . Never had a problem with any of them. 1 of the Colts has over 10000 rounds and on 3rd barrel. Still going strong. Everyone seems to have BCG on sale lately. Oh yeah I also have a Windham Weaponry in a 300 BLK build that seems to be just fine.

18. Denver

Denver Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rubber City Armory makes a BCG in black nitride. Don't have one yet but have read good things about black nitride on ARFCOM. LRB has a black nitride gas piston available as well.

19. ptalar

ptalar Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Failzero as well as a Colt BCG. I am using the Failzero. Why? Easy to clean, needs minimal to no oiling as well as looking cool. But what really sold me is a test report on the exo coating by the feds which sort of validated the coating. I also have read real life tests by experienced users going 4000 to 5000 rounds without cleaning the bolt with no wear seen on the bolt. See link below.

http://www.uctcoatings.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/08/FAILZERO-Test-Report-w_sand-pics.pdf

20. bfoosh006

bfoosh006 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Frankly... IMHO your money is better spent elsewhere. I do not believe in the whole no /minimum lube needed thing. It will still be wearing against the upper... so you will need lube.

Unless you need a new BCG... a quality BCG is GTG.

I also thought about getting one, but decided that I really didn't need it.

Bought a Geissle Trigger instead. Much better choice.