AR15 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a DPMS 24' bull barrel upper to go on my Stag lower with RRA 2 stage NM trigger. Only problem(s) I'm seeing/feeling so far is that it is a REALLY tight fit, so much so that it is a pita to get the rear take down pin in/out; this seems to be lightening up with use though so I'm not overly concerned with that aspect, if it continues I'll hone a bit off the rear lug.

What I am slightly concerned with is I can feel that the bolt is dragging on the trigger I assume (or something) and is much more difficult than it ought to be to charge.

Any suggestions on how to smooth this up a bit?

Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No clue, though I have no experience with 2-stage triggers. I thought it might be the buffer retainer but that sits much lower than a cocked hammer. If you take the upper off and cock the hammer by hand, is there more than average rsistance?

And no offense meant, but you do resistance is normal when you're working the charging handle from the "bolt closed" position than if it were locked back? You didn't mention if this was your first AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken. This is not my first AR, though I do still have some learning to do. I have a Stag carbine, and bought this DPMS upper to get the longer range of a 24" bull barrel.

The problem isn't with the trigger, it's with the BCG or receiver. The BCG seems to be and feels like it's dragging heavier than it should when the action is worked, either over the hammer, or in the receiver.

It drags far heavier than it does when I have my stag upper on. The bolt is very tight in the receiver when working either bolt closed, or when closing from a locked back position.

For now I'll give it a thorough cleaning, and see if that lightens things up with the bolt. I think I'll hold off on honing the rear take down lug in-case I need to return the upper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you use a DPMS bolt & Carrier or use the Stag? one of them is obviously out of spec if you are feeling alot of drag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I used the DPMS bolt & carrier, just the stag lower. I did remove a little material from the rear lug with some very fine sand paper, and things did loosen up. I then repeatedly pulled the charging handle approximately 100 or so times and it loosened up even more.

I figure I probably just need to shoot the hell out of it to break it in a bit more, it is brand new after all.

Guess I had an initial "Oh crap" thing going on. My Stag was fairly tight when it was NIB; I just don't recall it being as tight as the DPMS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts