AR15 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do buffer tubes come in more than one thread where the screw that holds the stock goes? Like a military version vs. a civilian version?

I bought a Magpul prs buttstock to replace my A2 stock. Tossed the spacer and tried to install the screw but it goes in really tight, like it's a different thread pitch. I tried the screw that I had holding the A2 stock on and same thing. It goes in easy for 1/8" or 1/4" then it gets tough.

Any help?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out. Whatever place threaded the hole needs a new machinist. I had to clean up the threads and it's all good now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The threads on a mil-spec tube will be wider than the tube itself, whereas commercial tubes have threads that are the same diameter as the tube.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The threads on a mil-spec tube will be wider than the tube itself, whereas commercial tubes have threads that are the same diameter as the tube.
+1

Sounds like you had a MilSpec tube and a commercial jam nut.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it was the small female threads in the other end, toward the end of the tube where the screw holds on an A2 stock and it goes against your shoulder. The PRS is held on with a similar vented screw but the screw goes in further than with an A2 stock and the little spacer. The threads where it goes into the receiver were fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts