AR15 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I don't know much about building weapons but I want an AR 15 and decide to build it. It may cost a little more but I will be more proud to have something that I built.
Anyways on to the question.
What do I need to build one and what parts will I need so I can make sure I get everything and don't miss anything?

Thanks for any help walt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It depends on how much building you are going to do. If you want to absolutely completely build it, you'll need upper receiver, barrel, FSB, lower receiver, stock, buffer kit, lower parts kit, and a few others. You could also get a stripped lower receiver, a lower parts kit, and a complete upper. I have not assembled a lower with the kit, but it appears fairly easy and quick. Then you just attach the stock, and put 2 pins in and your rifle is complete.

You will most likely spend less if you build it yourself than if you buy a complete rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well seeing how this is a project that runs on when i get enought money for the next part it will take time to build. I have not seen a complete lower that is california legal only stripped ones so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ran the numbers and to get an AR 15 that is California complaint and have a detachable mag, It will cost about 1200 bucks.
This is going to take some time to put together.
Wish my credit card wasn't maxed do to Xmas lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all. I don't know much about building weapons but I want an AR 15 and decide to build it.
I have ran the numbers and to get an AR 15 that is California complaint and have a detachable mag, It will cost about 1200 bucks.
Or you could join a nearby police department as a volunteer, get LEO certified, and maybe get access to weapons no one else can buy in CA.

Reading the above statement about how you "don't know much about building weapons", I'm kinda guessing you don't know how an AR works. You might want to get a book or two, like "The Gun Digest Book of the AR15 1st Edition". Tons of good info in their, including how to take an AR completely apart and put it back together again, safety issues, etc. You will really enjoy reading that book. The AR15.com website has a tutorial on building an AR, also: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Have you seen this option? http://lee.org/blog/archives/2007/04/23/fully-legal-ar-15-in-california/

Good luck, and put little parts in a clear trash bag before you assemble/disassemble so that they won't go flying across the room.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several threads here covering both a traditional build and a CA build .. you would benefit greatly from reading those, then coming back and asking specific questions.

I'm not trying to be rude by saying that, it's just that this is a commonly asked and answered question. You'll find 90% of what you're looking for is already there and will give you more information about what else you'll need to ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My experince with an AR 15 would be my experince with a M 16 and M 4 in the military,
Oh, now you tell me!:mrgreen:

When I was looking for my first AR, I bought a factory new rifle. I can enjoy shooting a rifle that is put together correctly, and has a factory warranty, while I learn more about how it works. Now that I have some experience with it, how it comes apart and goes back together, how the gas impingement system works, etc., like you do, I can think about building my next one with more confidence.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walt -

In almost every case, whatever options your get, building an AR will ALMOST always cost less than buying the same gun. Even if you buy new parts.

For new parts, there's LOTS of good suppliers -

Rock River Arms
Bushmaster
Armalite (kinda pricey)
CMMG
Fulton Armory (very good - a little pricey)
Patriot Arms
Stag Arms
J G Sales
J T Distributing

Olympic Arms are hit and miss (tho I've had good experiences with them) and Colt is overpriced, and anti-civilian AR ownership.

Check out the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com. You can get some really good prices on used parts. In good condition, used AR parts are every bit as good as new.

Building a AR is very satisfying, and fairly easy. I beleive AR15.com also has a "How To" section for your first builds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts