AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have two lowers that I would like to build up ASAP.
I am the bread winner, my wife stays home with the kids. I am on a fairly tight budget....:roll:

Would I save any money getting an AR built up by buying it a part or so at a time? I know shipping would hurt. Other than that?

I know I can get a Del Ton Kit for about $500 with a chrome lined BBl. How about maybe just getting the lower done with a LPK and stock and then finding a good upper?

I figure I'll finish it with my tax return, we will be getting that sent off this week.

Any other ideas let me know.

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kind of the same dilemma that i am in. I am ordering a lower and now want to piece it together. The complete uppers can be a little spendy as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I built my first one about 7 years ago, I did the parts at a time thing. Think it ended up costing slightly more (like maybe $50-75 or so). Could have been for the cost of tools. I can't really remember.

Think I will help my nephew build a kit this year. He is pretty strapped for cash. Plus I have any tools needed and the experience of building several.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can do pretty well building an AR by part, if you don't mind using used parts and waiting around for deals.

Building from parts is more difficult and probably not recommended if you're just building one AR since you'll need a host of tools as well. Vise, torque wrench, moly grease, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do pretty well building an AR by part, if you don't mind using used parts and waiting around for deals.

Building from parts is more difficult and probably not recommended if you're just building one AR since you'll need a host of tools as well. Vise, torque wrench, moly grease, etc.
I do not mind picking up the tools. I figure I will need them some time.

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am doing it because i love the challenge and want to say that i have done it myself. Gunsmithing tools are not an issue for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done the kits but if you look around on ar15.com you can find alot of your parts used for cheap

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If funds are low, there's no shame in going to the gun show and buying one part here and there. Overall cost may be a bit higher, but think about it this way.

1) smaller amounts of free cash means you can only buy something here and there.
2) you can pick the exact thing you want. If you want a chrome BC, then get it. Pick up the bolt later.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have done the kits but if you look around on ar15.com you can find alot of your parts used for cheap
I have been browsing the EE and see a few things here and there. I will keep a close eye on things. I will attend the Show in Tulsa in april. I can not wait that long for my first build though.....

To top it off, I just stopped by another local gun shop and they want $850+ for a 16" flattop DPMS. :shock:

So I am happy I can get one for a bunch less.

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put your lower together, use a RRA or Stag LPK. Add your choice of stock. You should be able to do this for about $250 or so depending on your choice of stock.

Watch the ar15.com EE. Get an idea of who the good sellers are. When an upper catches your eye buy it. Some sell them complete with the bolt carrier group, some don't. If you don't mind "used" you can save a few $ here. If you get an upper without a BCG buy a new set., unless you can find one for less tha $100. New LMT bcg's are only like $130.

Example on an upper I got recently.

LMT M4 upper with RRA bcg, a Smith Vortex flash hider plus the original A2 fh, M4 handguards.......all this was brand new.......$435 :cool:
Normally the LMT upper with no bcg or handguards lists at $489, the Vortex about $50, and a set of double shieled M4 hg's about $40, the RRA bcg around $130.

But you have to be religous about it....deals like that go fast !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I built mine farly cheap

Stag lower 100
Del-ton LPK 55
Ergo sure grip 22
adj. buttstock 40
stag 3h upper 450
total 667
+ BSA sweet .223 scope $82

so 749 total + some mags and stuff. but not bad for all new parts. now I just need to start working on my 2 other lowers, but Im getting my reloading stuff together and up and running before I start another one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I built mine farly cheap

Stag lower 100
Del-ton LPK 55
Ergo sure grip 22
adj. buttstock 40
stag 3h upper 450
total 667

so 749 total + some mags and stuff. but not bad for all new parts. now I just need to start working on my 2 other lowers, but Im getting my reloading stuff together and up and running before I start another one.

really nice......very sharp

? is the scope low or just my eyes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the scope mounted as low as I can get it to the barrel, theres not a lot of room between my handguards and the scope, its only something like .030 between them but it clears and dont hit. i had got 2 diffrent sets of rings these were the lower ones, I have a higher set, but the closer you stay to the barrel the better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is my "latest" piece at a time build :cool: The KAC QD sling swivels arrived today, and the Blue Force Gear "Vickers" sling should be here shortly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the scope mounted as low as I can get it to the barrel, theres not a lot of room between my handguards and the scope, its only something like .030 between them but it clears and dont hit. i had got 2 diffrent sets of rings these were the lower ones, I have a higher set, but the closer you stay to the barrel the better.
\

How do you like the Sweet .223 scope? I have thought about one of the Sweet .17 for my Savage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I built mine farly cheap

Stag lower 100
Del-ton LPK 55
Ergo sure grip 22
adj. buttstock 40
stag 3h upper 450
total 667

Looks good! :grin:

I'll be getting a kit since I should have some of my money back soon, tax loan to the Gov't.....:roll:

Then I believe I'll build the other up with what ever I find for cheap.

I need to order some mags today.....

Kent

1 - 20 of 29 Posts