AR15 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I should have not bought it but I could not resist. I needed a caliber for Bears and Trolls like the ones you see in "Lord of the Rings."

The Bushmaster .450 Caliber Upper Assembly (includes Free-Float Forend and 5 Round .450 specific Magazine) 1 X 24” Twist, Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel— flat-top Upper, 3 rail gas block, no sights. Bushmaster Upper Receiver/Barrel Assemblies offer the benefit of years of AR15/M16 design, materials and finish improvements. These assemblies are all factory headspaced, test fired, and shipped completely ready to use. They include charging handle, bolt and bolt carrier assemblies, handguards and forend.
Regular Price: $760.00
Tax Time Price: $532.00

2008 Tax Time Promo Day 4

Here is a video on the Bushmaster .450
YouTube - Hornady 450 Bushmaster

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Bad ass!!

I bet those bullets are expensive though!!!

I would most likely just buy an AR-10 or a FAL, but for $550 bucks that is way cheap for such a powerful change.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Bad ass!!

I bet those bullets are expensive though!!!

I would most likely just buy an AR-10 or a FAL, but for $550 bucks that is way cheap for such a powerful change.
Your right, ammo for this is expensive. But if everyone buys one, then the ammo price will go down :cool:. Midway has them for $27 for 20.

The numbers for this round is quite impressive. 220 gr bullet that travels 2200+ fps. Effective out to 300 yards. At 100 yards no bullet drop, at 200 only 3" drop, and 24" drop at 300 yards. Also it is still supersonic at 300 yards as FPS is 1200+ fps.

I will be ready for the Bears and the Trolls!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Your right, ammo for this is expensive. But if everyone buys one, then the ammo price will go down :cool:. Midway has them for $27 for 20.

The numbers for this round is quite impressive. 220 gr bullet that travels 2200+ fps. Effective out to 300 yards. At 100 yards no bullet drop, at 200 only 3" drop, and 24" drop at 300 yards. Also it is still supersonic at 300 yards as FPS is 1200+ fps.

I will be ready for the Bears and the Trolls!
I'm betting you could cut the cost on reloads to 15-20 cents per round with hard cast gas checked bullets. But I'm thinking with 45/70 ballistics in a light weight rifle you probably wont be shooting it very much. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to the 458 Socom because i already load 45-70 and can use the same bullets.450 looks nice in action!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I'm betting you could cut the cost on reloads to 15-20 cents per round with hard cast gas checked bullets. But I'm thinking with 45/70 ballistics in a light weight rifle you probably wont be shooting it very much. :eek:
your right i won't be shooting it much. thinking i'll go 200 rounds pretty quick, because I like all my guns to be broken in and ready to go. but man just the cost is to break it in is going to cost me $270!

Then after that maybe about 40 rounds a year + whatever I get for boar hunts. Gonna have to make visits to relatives in Texas now since there are not much boars in Texas. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
The advantage of the 450 bushmaster is it used .451 diameter bullets so you can load plinking ammunition with 45 pistol bullets. That is a very tempting deal. I think the 450 Bushmaster could make a fun 3-gun rifle here in the east were ranges rarely get over 200yards. The big limitation will be getting high enough capacity magazines. I think a 30rd 223 magazine with a 450 Bushmaster follower only hold 9rds. Wonder how many rounds you could get in a beta-C assuming you could get it to feed them.

mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
that is a good deal. if i had the money and didnt have 3 other guns on layaway i would really like to get that

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Good thing about the Bushmaster 450 is the ammo is from Hornandy so you know it is good round and load data for it should be available soon. so we should be able to reload this stuff easily. When Bushmaster and Hornandy gets together to make a round and a gun, you have to believe the final product will be a quality one.

Now I just got to wait for Hornandy to make the brass and bullets available. But I am thinking I might have to use loaded factory ammo to break it in as the components will not be available anytime soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
My friend has one of these, and found that .450 bushwacker will feed from a standard 5.56 AR magazine, and he said a 30 rnd mag would hold 14 rnds. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts