AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into my first AR and I need some advice.

First off, I will be using the new rifle for plinking and maybe coyotes and other varmints.

I have am interested in either a Bushmaster or DPMS, mainly because of price. I figure I will buy the first and then build another higher end AR later.

If I buy a Bushmaster or DPMS, will I be able to upgrade the handguards to rail types? What about sights? If I get a removeable carry handle, will I be able to mount optics later?

As I said, this will be my first AR and I know almost nothing about them, but I can't wait to learn more. Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking into my first AR and I need some advice.

First off, I will be using the new rifle for plinking and maybe coyotes and other varmints.

I have am interested in either a Bushmaster or DPMS, mainly because of price. I figure I will buy the first and then build another higher end AR later.

If I buy a Bushmaster or DPMS, will I be able to upgrade the handguards to rail types? What about sights? If I get a removeable carry handle, will I be able to mount optics later?

As I said, this will be my first AR and I know almost nothing about them, but I can't wait to learn more. Thanks guys.
You can build an AR cheaper than a complete rifle.

Yes you can change out the handguards to a rail with any AR.
Yes you can mount optics directly on top of the receiver if you get a removable carry handle

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I am not building this time is I don't have the tools I need, and I don't have the room for them at this point as I live in a small apartment. Once my house is finished and I have a workbench and more room I will buy the tools and build my AR, if the democrats don't make them illegal first!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a Bushmaster with the removable handle to install a scope and flip up sights. I had shot both before I purchased. As for the AR15 platform you can change or upgrade just about everything.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I am not building this time is I don't have the tools I need, and I don't have the room for them at this point as I live in a small apartment. Once my house is finished and I have a workbench and more room I will buy the tools and build my AR, if the democrats don't make them illegal first!
Gotcha, sort of the reason why I got a complete rifle (mainly because I jsut wanted one right away)

You can also look into getting a complete lower and a complete upper. should still cost a little bit less than a fully built

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No work bench and special tools necessary. If you have a kitchen table it is good enough. When we say "build your own AR", most of the time we are talking about just the lower. For the upper, you want to buy that complete, same thing with the BCG, you want to buy that complete too.

Not much to building a lower, only thing you really need is a small hammer (any hammer will do though) to push in the pins, and a Stock wrench (which runs about $10). When I built my fist AR, I actually did not even use a stock wrench, used vice grip pliers and and duct tape :cool:

Check out this thread, as you can see it is pretty easy. Just takes a little time and patience.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a DPMS owner, I would recommend against buying one for any application except occasional plinking. Anything more serious than that in mind and I'd look elsewhere. I'm trying to offload mine right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a DPMS owner, I would recommend against buying one for any application except occasional plinking. Anything more serious than that in mind and I'd look elsewhere. I'm trying to offload mine right now.
If you don't mind me asking why do you not recommend a DPMS. As a former owner myself I have to say I never had a single problem with it and one of my buds here has one as well. Never has had a problem with it.

I sold my to get a different model from DPMS actually. Otherwise she'd still be mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too have never had a issue with the DPMS I built. This was from a stripped lower, DPMS LPK, DPMS factory complete upper and the only non DPMS part was a ACE buttstock. It has bee flawless. I too would be interested in the problems you have had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hes not the only one I've heard of say something negative about DPMS. I think they might have QC issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are build it yourself AR15 videos on Life, Liberty, Etc.

I ordered a del-ton 16" midlength rifle kit and a DPMS stripper lower

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have two Dpms's built the first one and bought the sec one. i really do like them. i have m4 flattop that went from basic gun to be trick out. and i have a 20" bull panther for the hunting part they r great.

Hey The Dave what are trying to unload?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have a bushmaster that i love:D, and even though i haven't shot my DPMS i just bought I think that the bushmaster has a nicer smother feel to it when pulling on the charging handle. everything seems to be smoother and easier. but i do have over 1,500 rounds through it, that might be why.:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I recently took a chance on a stripped lower by DPMS. It seems t be Ok, but initially it seemed a bit out of spec. We'll see how it holds up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The biggest issue with DPMS (and others, too) have to do with bolt quality and soft gas keys. For a range gun, the stock BCG is ok but, when the round count goes up, there are some that fail.

I have a recent build date Panther Lite 16 that seems to be just fine. I wouldn't go to war with it but, throw in a better BCG and it would do fine in the defensive gun role, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts