AR15 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a look tomorrow at a fully assembled Bushmaster. Let me first state that this would be my first venture into the Black Rifle and I really don't want to get in to building one until I have more experience with them. Below is $950 FTF. Too much, too little, just right?

BUSHMASTER AR-15 M4 STYLE (NIB) COMES WITH FACTORY HARD CASE, PAPERS, ONE 30-RD MAG, REMOVABLE A3 STYLE CARRY HANDLE, A2 SIGHTS, RETRACTABLE STOCK, M4 UPPER RECEIVER & BARREL CONTOUR

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get one new for that much. I have seen them online for $850 new for the M4A3 (flat top with carry handle).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont worry about building one if you buy a compleated upper and compleated lower and look around for good deals you can save quite a bit.
to me that price seems high but ive never bought a compleated rifle.
one really good thing about buying the two halves is you can skimp on the lower and put that money into a really good upper wwhich is the most important part.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also a complete rifle has some kind of excise tax that is already included in the price, where you will pay about 10% more. If you buy the complete lower, and the complete upper you basically have a complete weapon and you avoid that tax.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the input so far. I really do appreciate it.

I decided to go the fully assembled, warrantied, taxed etc...route on this first one just because of my inexperience with ARs. This is not yet an area that I want to experiment in. I'm sure, based on all I've read, that this would not be the last purchase once I've been bitten by the bug. ;)

After I learn more about them I'll be ready to branch out some. Keeping it safe and trying to know my limitations this first go round.

Any other input is still very welcome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get one new for that much. I have seen them online for $850 new for the M4A3 (flat top with carry handle).
This one is brand new. Below is a pic. I would not be paying shipping and FFL at $950 so that ought to cut $50-$60 or so off of any online pricing. Not a done deal by any means but just wanted to know if this was too much with all considerations for this rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's used, and not at a gun shop, it's about 150-200 bucks too high.
I'd pay that much for a Bushmaster, but not THAT one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is $950 OTD then that is not a bad price. I myself would not sweat over $50 here and there, go shoot it and enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is $950 OTD then that is not a bad price. I myself would not sweat over $50 here and there, go shoot it and enjoy.
Thanks for the input Eric and all. I did realize I should have done a better job describing the whole situation at the beginning. My bad, absolutely.

If this happens I'll post it up (again). If not, I'll probably ask a Newb question or two until I get it right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you are asking for input I'll give you my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

At $950 it isn't a great deal. Take your time, do some research. You can find Bushmasters all day long at that price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

At $950 it isn't a great deal. Take your time, do some research. You can find Bushmasters all day long at that price.
Thanks MV. I really am looking for all input I can get, not just the positive stuff. I appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Seems like he is set on that gun no matter what we say. For $950 OTD it is not a bad price considering that gun goes on the internet for about $850+shipping+ffl fees. So he is only paying $50 more but the main thing is he gets to touch, see, and feel the gun he is buying. And he has the option of taking it home right away.

I myself would just be a little more patient and save up just a little more for a Colt or Noveske. Right now those are the only 2 I would consider.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like he is set on that gun no matter what we say. For $950 OTD it is not a bad price considering that gun goes on the internet for about $850+shipping+ffl fees. So he is only paying $50 more but the main thing is he gets to touch, see, and feel the gun he is buying. And he has the option of taking it home right away.

I myself would just be a little more patient and save up just a little more for a Colt or Noveske. Right now those are the only 2 I would consider.
Nah Eric, I'm set on the type of gun but not the brand and not that particular one. More than anything else I was looking for a little negotiating leverage when I got FTF with the guy.

Based on the info and opinions I've gotten here I've come to the conclusion that if he will take $900 Cash OTD I'm good with it. If not I'll keep looking around as there's no shortage to choose from. I do get a little impulsive on purchases from time to time but I don't want to do that with this kind of money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I paid around $900 from a box store last year for pretty much the same rifle.

Like you said, just offer him $900 and see if he bites.

If not keep looking around.

People either love or hate Bushies.

I have had zero issues with mine and I have put a few thousand rounds through it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is my advice, which means very very little but here it is, for that price i would pass but mainly because you are buying a bunch of stuff you probably won't need or won't need for very long. Bushmaster will take care of most warranty problems regardless of whether or not your the first owner. if not most smiths will work on them pretty cheap after all they are ARs not much you can do to them.

I would look for a good used one that a motivated seller is wanting to get rid of quickly and use the saved money for add on goodies that you will undoubtedly end up wanting such as optics, rails, fore grips, lights, lasers, extra mags,

i personally do not like the hard cases a blackhawk bag works great and has lots and lots of storage and is a lot easier to store when not in use. the hard plastic cases that they ship with them are the cheapies and you could buy one of the same quality for around $20.

if you have a range that rents i would go try out a few comparison shop and buy on line from gunsamerica or gunbroker or from the EE on Barfcom.

if you can save some from buying a complete lower and a complete upper thats a added bonus

with the modular design of the AR15 virtually any and all parts are interchangeable and the completed lower will mount to the upper by simply lining up the holes and pushing the two takedown pin in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks TJ and everyone else that took the time to post on this topic. I did go see this rifle tonight. It is new and naturally looked good and all. Went through all the motions and then got down to price. I told him I was willing to go $900 and that's it. He came back with the fact thay he was going to ask a little more than the $950 original price because he had gotten "a couple more calls on it".

Thanked him for his time and took off.

I believe I'll take the suggestions posted here and slow down and look around for a good used rifle now that the initial fever has passed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nah Eric, I'm set on the type of gun but not the brand and not that particular one. More than anything else I was looking for a little negotiating leverage when I got FTF with the guy.

Based on the info and opinions I've gotten here I've come to the conclusion that if he will take $900 Cash OTD I'm good with it. If not I'll keep looking around as there's no shortage to choose from. I do get a little impulsive on purchases from time to time but I don't want to do that with this kind of money.
Take Eric's advice. Too many stress over that last $50 or $100. That amount of money is NOT going to change your life. That's a freakin bar bill for christ sake.

If you want it, he has it then buy it and go shooting. Amortize that extra $50 or $100 over the life of the gun and it's a meaningless amount of money.

It takes too much time and energy to keep trying to find the best deal. Personally, it's not worth my time. My time is worth more than spending hours upon hours of internet time, driving around time, stressing about time and time that I could be out shooting it when I'm spending MORE time trying to get it cheaper.

Just buy it and be done with it and go have fun. My .02 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts