AR15 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few probably remember late last year I agonized back and forth between an Eotech, SPOT or an MP. I finally bought the MP right before Xmas, but the weather has been horrible. Finally been out twice since I had it and here is my promised review.

I took it out the first time a few weeks ago. There was a lot of snow on the ground and the sun was very bright. The MP has 5 settings for a green T reticle and 5 settings for a red T. It was so bright out that the only one I could see was red on 5 (brightest setting), but that one was just fine and easy to see. I zeroed in at 50 yards without much problem. I did find out that you have to have the scope powered on when making adjustments. Most probably knew that, but I turned the knob several times to lower the grouping and it would not move the grouping. I was shutting off to save batteries. Anyway, zeroed at 50 yards , was shooting close to dead on at 100 yards. I was having problems hitting the chicken (actual size) sillouettes at 200 meters (I had issues with irons at that distance too:wink:). Kind of a crappy day so shot about 100 rounds and left.

So yesterday was upper 40's for temps and no wind, perfect day or shooting. A week or so ago, I read someone say to zero at 25 yards. So I figured why not. It was sunny yesterday but not nearly as bright out as the first time. The setting I used while wearing my shades was 4 on the red. I could see 3 but not quite enough and the rest of the red and all the green could not be seen. The box says the green is for low light, which I haven't tried yet. It does work well in my basement though.

Zeroed in at 25 yards, which raised my POI at 200 meters. Zeroed with no problems at all and guess what, I was hitting alot more of the chickens. I put a fresh coat of paint on the chickens so I could see where I was hitting them. The hits were all on the lower half of the chickens, so I am thinking of zeroing a little high at 25 yards. Remember that I handload with Data 68 and pulled 55 gr fmj, definately not a tack driving load, just a nice shooting and cheap plinking load.

They say the dot is 3 MOA, which should make it around a 6 inch dot at 200 meters, but it seems smaller than that to me, which I like, more like a 2 MOA. It has improved my shooting over using irons, but still leaves a challenge at 200-300 meters.

Keep in mind this is the only red dot I have ever used so I can't compare to the expensive ones. I highly recommend this scope if you are on a budget. If you can spend $300+, you probably should. But for $150ish, I don't think you can go wrong. This also got very good reviews on ARF.com, which is a rarity.

I'll keep posting any updates. Hope this is useful for somone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ive got both a fairly expensive and a cheapie as of this time i have gotten more reliable use out of my cheap Hackko TacPoint. i did get my Aimpoint ML2 back for AP about a week and half ago well actually i got a brand spanking new one back and a letter stating that they found some faulty circuits in my optic so they were sending a replacment as a bonus they sent me a nice neoprene bag for covering it when not in use and a deeply moving letter about how they are committed to providing quality products and apologized for letting a defective one slip though the cracks and in to my hands.

Aim Point customer service was excellent and turn around time wasn't to bad at all maybe two weeks tops.

hopefully this one will make more than two range trips (which i am sure it will) but i definitely will not be getting rid of my cheap Hakko any time soon its taken quite a bit of abuse and has yet to fail me and im still on my original set of batteries and the Dot is still plenty bright on its higher settings during extremely bight days. and holds its zero well under 5.56 abuse i have also been contemplating the MP as i like the ACOG look especially on my A2 handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brian that looks good was wondering what type of front sight you have. i have a bushmaster m4/a3 with standerd front post sight , and was thinking about getting a bushnell mp but also wanted to use a flip up rear sight,and wondered will they co-witness:?:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shooting at two hundred yards I would imagine you weren't trying the "two eyes open" but have you tried that with this scope and how did it work?

I find that I am able to shoot both eyes open with my EoTech but my vision tends to tunnel or focus right on the reticle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brian that looks good was wondering what type of front sight you have. i have a bushmaster m4/a3 with standerd front post sight , and was thinking about getting a bushnell mp but also wanted to use a flip up rear sight,and wondered will they co-witness:?:
I have an ARMS #40 (whatever came with my Stag) and to get it to work with the MP, I would have to slide the scope forward one more notch on the flat-top, which I have seen people do on ARF.com. I also took the front sight pin out since it annoyed me. This is just a plinker and I am not worried about co-witness.

That being said, if I would slide the scope forward, it would have lined up just above the top of the front sight pin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shooting at two hundred yards I would imagine you weren't trying the "two eyes open" but have you tried that with this scope and how did it work?

I find that I am able to shoot both eyes open with my EoTech but my vision tends to tunnel or focus right on the reticle.
It is kind of odd, but I seem to do a combination of left eye closed and partly open. Switch between the two until I get a view I like. Don't know if that makes sense, but I am still adjusting to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an ARMS #40 (whatever came with my Stag) and to get it to work with the MP, I would have to slide the scope forward one more notch on the flat-top, which I have seen people do on ARF.com. I also took the front sight pin out since it annoyed me. This is just a plinker and I am not worried about co-witness.

That being said, if I would slide the scope forward, it would have lined up just above the top of the front sight pin.
So, you're saying the red/green dot will line up just a-top of the front sight post on a fixed post rifle, correct? I was wondering if I'd need a 1'' riser on my flat top AR to clear the front sight? But it sounds like the MP sits up high enough without the riser. Anyone else have comments on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, you're saying the red/green dot will line up just a-top of the front sight post on a fixed post rifle, correct? I was wondering if I'd need a 1'' riser on my flat top AR to clear the front sight? But it sounds like the MP sits up high enough without the riser. Anyone else have comments on this?
Yes, the T and Dot sat on top of the pin before I removed it. Read the following thread on AR15.com for ALOT of info. Some people are using riser, some are not. Not sure if yours will need one or not.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Bushnell MP trophy 1x 32mm (73-0132P) Acog clone

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link Brian, guess I'll know once my MP gets here and it's mounted if I'll need the riser or not??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice review, it sounds like a great option for those that dont want to spend the $300.00+ on an elctraonic sight. I personaly have a Sightron and its a really nice optic as well with a lifetime replacement warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for reviving a 5 year old thread but I wanted to know if the MP holds up to 450 marlin/ 450 bushmaster recoil. I know thats a lot to expect from a cheaper optic but I thought I'd ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts