AR15 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know someone with a Legit (Pre-Ban and registered) AR here in California. I'm interested in purchasing it from them.

Is there anything "special" I need to do? Owner wants to transfer it to me, so I know it needs to go through a dealer.

I know nothing about California Law and AR's. Help!

Also what is in your mind a fair price?

Thanks,
~Barbarossa

Edit: Oh there the search button

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the only way it can be transfered to another party (you) is by removing the characteristics of it that determine it's an assault rifle.

there is no legal way whatsoever that it can be transfered to you in it's current state.

it's not impossible, but he would have to modify it. i'm not 100% sure, but it may be as simple as replacing the grip with an approved non-pistol grip, replacing the magazine release system with one that requires a tool to release the magazine, or using a fixed-magazine lower.

it would be then unregistered as an assault weapon, and you could never again legally replace those parts to return it to the pre-transfer state.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php#5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only way it can be transfered to another party (you) is by removing the characteristics of it that determine it's an assault rifle.

there is no legal way whatsoever that it can be transfered to you in it's current state.

it's not impossible, but he would have to modify it. i'm not 100% sure, but it may be as simple as replacing the grip with an approved non-pistol grip, replacing the magazine release system with one that requires a tool to release the magazine, or using a fixed-magazine lower.

it would be then unregistered as an assault weapon, and you could never again legally replace those parts to return it to the pre-transfer state.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php#5
What he said...the easiest modification is to convert to a "fixed" magazine. There is a recessed button on the market (can't remember the name) that releases the mag by inserting the tip of a bullet or something similar to press the magazine release. That would probably be your cheapest and easiest remedy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding that:

He would have to change the features that make it an "Assault weapon".

You cannot own an "Assault weapon" in Ca. unless you registered it before March 30th 1992, are a Specially licensed gun dealer, Active police officer, obtain a special permit (only granted for use comercially or in connection w/ the govt.), or render the gun permanently inoperable.

Your freind CANNOT sell it to anyone in Ca. but a specially licensed gun dealer. Its a Felony. He can either keep it, sell it to a Specially licensed gun dealer, or sell it out of state. He can't even lend it to you, unless he's with you during the entire time it's in your posession!

LOL! I saw a guy with a registered UZI at the range one time, It had a 16'' barrel and an ugly fixed wooden stock (didn't seem worth owning anymore :()

California sux, but someones gotta live here!:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts