AR15 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just "got into" AR's and am looking for a couple of carry handles simply to use as rear sights. I don't need a carry handle or even like the way they look but just want a rear sight. Everywhere I look, people are saying to forget the iron sights and get a good high power scope, ACOG, Holo, or whatever. Yet most are wanting to sell their old ones for $70.00 +/- and this is about the cost of a rear flip up sight.

Let me just say-I'm cheap! I'm so cheap, I'll squeeze a quarter until the eagle screams. BUT, I don't mind paying for quality (while still getting the best price I can, of course ;)). I know there are Chinese made versions out there for $39.99 but have been told they are not good, to say the least.

I understand that the carry handle has the windage and elevation adjustments built in (making it a precision sight, so to speak) and it's not just a groove in the handle you look down. But are they worth having or would my money be spent better elsewhere getting a flip up rear sight, that way I could still mount a scope later on?

I'm looking for some experienced input on which you prefer(no flames please, I'm already warm enough :mrgreen: ).

Won't somebody help a Brother out? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your plan includes optics in the future, spend the money on a fixed or flip up style rear sight, (depending on what optic is in the plan). I never used my carry handle until I chopped it to make a fixed "LMT" still rear BUIS.

This is the ARMS 40, it will fit under a scope.

another ARMS 40 behind the EOTech

This is the MATECH under a magnifier behind the Aimpoint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that the carry handle has the windage and elevation adjustments built in (making it a precision sight, so to speak)
:D
The rear sight is windage adjustable and maked for different yardages, elevation is done with the front sight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah and who ever is telling you to forget iron's is a dork and should immediately stop giving advise on AR sighting and utilization.... like right away.

There's a bit to be said for going with a straight carry handle and there (in my ever not even close to humble opinion) even better reasons to go with a quality flip up BUIS, especially if you have a Flattop (really the only play a BUIS has a role) and you are planning on adding optics in the future.

Troy
PRI
ARMS
GG&G
MI

and several others have them.. but for me that list is the quality and value order. Yeah, you're going to pay between $120-$140 for a Troy BUIS.. but it's the best going right now and worth every day penny. I personally wouldn't settle for less than a ARMS.. but there is a lot to be said for snagging a few carry handles with A2/3 controls and chopping it down like what Mike just showed you. You'll save $50-60 bucks and you'll still have a rock solid BUIS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never seem to learn, cheap is more expensive. I always look for the cheap route then end up spending more money to do it right. I suggest you do it right and buy either a quality detachable carry handle or a good BUIS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on if you are going to mount a red dot or not I just put the RRA Dominator rear sight and Eotech base on my Armalite and will use a Troy folding front sight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will want an optic, eventually. Get a flip down BUIS. My two favorites are the Troy and Midwest Industries. Even if you don't get an optic, they're still quality iron sights, and can be used as a stand alone sighting system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts