AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm new to ARs, but not to guns as I've been shooting/reloading since I was about 5/12, respectively. I'm considering buying my first AR in the near future, and I was wondering if yall had any suggestions on where to get a good deal on one. I wouldn't mind having to fix a part, or even building one from scratch, as I'm really good w/ instructions and manuals, and I know how to work on guns. Thanks for the help!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
CMMG was selling some used Ars for around $550-$600 but you can also build one for about that price with new parts. I am finishing up my plain CAR build which consisted of:

Essential Arms lower $77
J&T Disturbuting 16" CAR kit $420 (dealer pricing)

Cost before upgrades and FFL fees was $497

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
They might start out cheap, but once you get the EBR fever, there is no such thing as an "inexpensive AR". :twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
not to hijack but i am in the same boat. since every one loves the xd i know u guys would know about good ar-15's. i have been looking at colt but if i could get something as good or better for the same price or cheaper.

looking more for reliable than aim if it can get a 5in group at 200yds
i would like to keep it as short as i can
light as possible
adjustable stock
a rail for sights
able to put a front grip on
uder 1400$

if some one can point me in the right direction

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
i have been looking at colt but if i could get something as good or better for the same price or cheaper.
Without it being a custom build "as good or better than Colt" would be LMT or Noveske in that order.......I'm sure I'll hear flack about it :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
To the OP.....CMMG bargin bin, or a kit build from Del-ton, J&T as was suggested, pick a lower with a rollmark that you like :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
DPMS is a good inexpensive AR, IMHO. I bought one over a year ago from a guy at work to use as my patrol rifle. I bought it for $700.00. He owned it for a year brand new and never shot it. I've put it through our rifle school (~600 rounds) and a few qualifications and training shoots since then. It's about to it's 1000 round mark and have not had a single failure for jam.

DPMS isn't as big of a name as Rock River Arms (which I also own), Bushmaster, or Colt, but they are a good rifle and priced very reasonably.

Just my suggestion. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
DPMS has been a well know name in the AR world for a long time. Nothing wrong with them, they just haven't been low bid on any Federal contracts yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I went on that site, it would cost me 810 now or about 1100 later... so if I was going to buy it I'd buy it with the upgrades, so I don't have to pay for the parts I'm taking off. thats not happening today...

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I'd build one. It feels good knowing you put it together. Plus you get a brand new gun for the price of a used one. A chimpanzee can assemble one. Heck, I did it with some internet instructions.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
what you get will depend on your wants needs and budget, dont let what others shoot really effect what you get.

I have a DMPS and have had zero problems with it. other than the bolt not locking back a few times changed to some higher quality Ammo and it fixed that problem.

I also had a couple of the CCMG bargin bin rifles and didnt have any problems with them either however 1 got sold the first time i took it to the range for about $200 more than i paid and the other got traded for a SA EMP

my next will be a LMT but i will build it as funds become available.

if your budget will allow you to purchase a colt or LMT by all means get one but if the primary function of your weapon will punching holes in paper and your budget wont allow a high end rifle feel confident with a bushmaster, or even DMPS thier warranty will easily cover any problems that you may have.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
This probably is a good question for a new thread, but what order would you buy the pieces! Is there any rhyme or reason to a particular order? I.e. Lower first then upper then barrel etc?

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
They might start out cheap, but once you get the EBR fever, there is no such thing as an "inexpensive AR". :twisted:
this is very ture as im sure many people can agree too.
my rifle started out at about $600 and is now about $1000 so my recomendations is to buy what you want at first even if it cost a little more then you want to spend.

if i had gotten what i wanted from the start then i would only have about a $700 ar

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered my stuff from model1sales.com

People will rag on them for service and quality. I took the chance and found that they were great. Shipped fast, answered a couple questions I had over the phone and were one of the cheapest places I found. All of the parts I got were good quality too. I ordered a complete upper and some tools from them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
i want ar that i could bet my life on. although i dont think i ever would but its nice to know. i have thought about building one but every time i go on ar15.com i get mad at the guys on there. as for dpms i have not heard any thing good about them. i was told i may as well buy a high point.

can someone list some ar brands from good to bad.
if this will start a fight dont bother.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I have an Olympic arms cost me about $830, there price ranges are from 714 on up, depending on what you want.
http://www.olyarms.com

What ever brand you get. pay attention to its chamber specs. There are two 5.56 and 223.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts