AR15 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cheap way to lock up my rifle until I can afford a proper gun safe.

I was thinking maybe some sort of metal box that i can slap a lock on to keep unwanted fingers out of... maybe something that I can mount to a rafter in my basement..

Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Wal mart usually has the lower end storage cabinets for cheap and some can be bolted into the back of a closet so it's hidden.
Get one of those for now untill you can afford a better safe.
Just imagine if your gun was stolen? :x:-x:x:-x:x!
Buy the best you can afford right now!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
You can get a stack-on cabinet for your rifles for now, it will at the very least, keep them away from the kids.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Heaviest aircraft cable you can fit through the action with a good hardened lock. Wrap it around something unbreakable and immovable and you make it real hard to snatch the gun. Simple and cheap.

You can also try a RAC rifle lock or an LJ4 Life Jacket if you have an AR-15.
:cool::cool::cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I have a friend that got (or maybe was given) an old broken freezer. He ripped out the compressor, trays, etc. and it now holds his guns. It is secured, but hard to tell that it is not a real freezer. Whatever you do, don't forget about humidity. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thos stack on Gun lockers are nice. Cheap and you can put it in a tight corner and bolt it to both the studs and the groud. Goes for about $99 at Dicks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
in the meantime, you could separate the upper from the lower. The lower is the serialized part so keep that as secured as possible

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
:shock: Send your rifle to me and I will store it ,:idea: In my safe until you get one of your own;) just a freindly XD family member!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thos stack on Gun lockers are nice. Cheap and you can put it in a tight corner and bolt it to both the studs and the groud. Goes for about $99 at Dicks.
The problem with those cabinets is that a thief is in it with a small pry bar in less than 30 seconds. Indeed there are some videos online showing two thieves prying open a full size gun safe in less than 2 minutes with a long breaker bar and a crowbar.

It's pretty disconcerting. Probably the best way is to make sure they never find them. If they find them, they can get them.
:-o:-o:-o

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
If your worried about burglars and not small children, I break down my AR's and put them in the oven on extended absences.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I bought. My closet is tiny and it just fits in. I drilled extra holes in the corners to hit the corner studs. Works perfect.

The problem with those cabinets is that a thief is in it with a small pry bar in less than 30 seconds. Indeed there are some videos online showing two thieves prying open a full size gun safe in less than 2 minutes with a long breaker bar and a crowbar.

It's pretty disconcerting. Probably the best way is to make sure they never find them. If they find them, they can get them.
:-o:-o:-o
I've seen that video and the best thing you can do is to bolt any safe you buy into a corner with the side that opens aiming towards the corner. Doing that, the wall will block any use of a crowbar.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input!
I called walmart yesterday... they said they had a stack-on cabinet for $89. I went down there and someone beat me to it!

So I bought a padlock and some brackets and mounted them on a metal storage cabinet I have in my basement... not very secure but will do for now.

Someone at the range mentioned keeping the bolt carrier group seperate. Maybe I can put in a ziplock and keep in in my pistol safe?

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I bought. My closet is tiny and it just fits in. I drilled extra holes in the corners to hit the corner studs. Works perfect.

I've seen that video and the best thing you can do is to bolt any safe you buy into a corner with the side that opens aiming towards the corner. Doing that, the wall will block any use of a crowbar.

Hardwarz
Sounds like a good idea. I like Nikon's idea too. Very clever!
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have an old truck tool box that goes across the bed? I've used one of those for awhile (in the garage)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts